Canvas and carpet snaps.

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anybody know of an alternative to the snaps that are typically used to fasten carpet and canvas. I'm looking for a type that was available in Europe some years ago. They look very similar to regular snaps, but they are really 1/4 turn fasteners. There is a slot in the top fastener that can be turned with a dime, or screwdriver. I would appreciate any input.
Thanks
Kev

RWILLIAMS

Cadet
Re: Canvas and carpet snaps.

Thet only thing that I can think of are used on race cars and are called DUZS 1/4/ turn fastners. check out summit racing I know they carry them but I don't know if they are suitable for marine use. Hope this helps.

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks RWILLIAMS. I appreciate your response. I'm familiar with them The problem with them is the "keeper" plate is huge, plus they are a bear to install. I'm looking for something that's better than the standard issue snaps but about the same size.
Thanks
Kev

Rdraidr

Cadet

You might check a company called Southco Fastners.?

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input. I never did find exactly what I was looking for. However, I did find some fasteners that can only be unsnapped from one direction. They are called "Lift the Dot" The problem I was having is that the carpet in my boat would pop off the snaps if the wind/breeze got under it. I would also find the carpet up against the transom after trailering. I'm very reluctant to trailer the boat with the bow & cockpit covers on for the same reason. depending how these fasteners work out on the carpet, I may have a shot at replacing the snaps on the bow cover and see how that works out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all your help.
Kev.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There are a few common marine fasteners that are not snaps. Check them out at http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Fasteners/index.html

productthumb.asp

image_resize.asp

haulnazz15

Captain

Our snaps are the "lift the dot" style on the bimini, bow carpet, and bow seats. Those never come undone until you want them to, so they should work for you. Ours have been good on a 1976 boat!