Recommendation On Assembly Grease

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have any recommendations on engine assembly grease? The last time a did a major on a powerhead I used some "assembly grease" that a mechanic gave me (from the same dealership where I bought the parts).

Recently I've heard a few different suggestions such as white lithium grease, vaseline and 2-stroke oil. Hmmm. It just seems that a purpose-designed assembly grease (just for 2-strokes) would be the best.

spktho

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Recommendation On Assembly Grease

2 stroke oil will work for pre-lubing the cylinder walls. there is also assembly lube that can be bought from the auto parts store.

76canaventure

Seaman Apprentice

I've never rebuilt an outboard, but I've used Lubriplate 105 for years with no problems in auto & agricultural engines. It's pretty easy to find around here, any parts store will have some. I tried Permatex ultra slick before, but it's kind of runny. I like assembly lube to stay where I put it.
Best Regards

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Wood, Use 2 cycle oil on the rings and cylinder walls, and any unassembled bearings (ie mains, wristpin). I use any heavy automotive grease to stick the bearings to the cages, if I have them apart. The balance of the motor doesn't need anything.

a1machinista1

Seaman

What I have come to understand is that the assembly lube needs to be broken down by the fuel/oil mix in a short period of time. So the mixture will lubricate the bearings, If the assembly lube does not break down it could hold back the flow of oil mix that lubricates crucial parts. I have heard vasaline, 2 stroke oil, etc... What I am using right now is a mix of lithium grease (not white) and 2 cycle oil... It has enough holding power to hold the rollers in place and I believe it will break down fast enough while providing sufficient start up lubrication???? This is just an educated guess as this is my first 2 cycle assembly..

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wood- At all the Merc dealerships I've worked at, we used the green multi lube grease. The trick is use a grease that will hold the bearings in place while you assemble but will dissolve with fuel. The service manual will help you decide if in question. Assembly lube and lube for inserting pistons in the jugs are two different jobs requiring two different lubricants. I know of no single lube that will do the job a total rebuild entails.

Common sense should prevail. (Dare I say that?)