Trim Tabs for slower on-plane performance?

I own a Monterey 214FS (22' fibreglass open bow runabout) with a 350 Mag Bravo III (300 HP duo-prop). Fresh water use only. It does everything well except stay on step with bow down at lower speeds, which is important for wake-boarding. A local dealer suggested trim tabs to remedy this.

Anyone with experience on lower speed planing performance with trim tabs?

I am leaning toward Lenco or LectroTab electro-mechanical trim tabs for simplicity of install and cost, as my usage environment is not hostile.

Anyone with experience with Lenco or LectroTab for this type of situation? Any general comments or suggestions?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Trim Tabs for slower on-plane performance?

Welcome to Iboats. I have a Monterey 322cr and I prefer the bennett trim tabs this is also what monterey installs at the factory on thier boats that come with tabs.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yep, that's what they do. My boat planes out about 3 mph sooner than without the tabs and it can stay on plane about 4 or 5 mph slower. My boat is smaller than yours, 18', but you might see similar results.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Water is a hostile enviroment for electric motors. ;)

Bennetts all the way

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Edith, In those I/O powered boats the motor is so heavy, and all that weight is in the rear such that they fall off plane real easily. Trim tabs will make a big difference. Get ones that are a bit oversized for the boat, for best results.

QC

Supreme Mariner

It does everything well except stay on step with bow down at lower speeds, which is important for wake-boarding.
You will be absolutely amazed at how they solve this issue. I personally believe that all V-hulls should come standard with tabs, and I also believe they should be helm adjustable as you can find a setting for almost any speed and any level of wakeboarder.

I also prefer hydraulic, but the fact is that Lencos are a much easier install if you are going to do them yourself.

I don't' know if Bennetts (or any tabs) will fit well. See the attached photo of the transom, which is not universally flat. I am going to have to mock up a kit in cardboard and see how it may line up. Benett's first recommendation ST12s will certainly not work because there is no way to fit the dual actuators.

I also have terrible visions of hydraulic fluid spraying all over the gear I store in the motor compartment. Anyone suffer a line or fitting failure?

Attachments

• DSCN2488.jpg
    DSCN2488.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't' know if Bennetts (or any tabs) will fit well. See the attached photo of the transom, which is not universally flat. I am going to have to mock up a kit in cardboard and see how it may line up. Benett's first recommendation ST12s will certainly not work because there is no way to fit the dual actuators.

I also have terrible visions of hydraulic fluid spraying all over the gear I store in the motor compartment. Anyone suffer a line or fitting failure?

they will fit but I don't think you need dual actuators my boat weighs 12800lbs empty and I have single actuators.

As for the failure rate I have had these on every boat over 16 ft that I have ever owned and have had an o-ring fail in the cylinder once but that set was 20 years old.
here is a not so great pic of my curren tabs my transom isn't flat either this is montereys factory install.
DSCF3983.jpg

you can also call monterey directly and they will tell you what thier factory install is for that option on your boat.

Thanks slasmith1 (and everyone else) for your posts.

The transom of your boat slopes toward the tabs, whereas mine slope away from the tabs. There is supposed to be 30? of flexion of the top mounts, but I may be faced with a compound angle that will be hard to mate flush with the top plate of the actuator.

I an probably fit them immediately outboard of the leg recess, but I understand the they work best with a wider stance... correct?

I also understand that to minimize spray it is better to have them either covering a hull strake or at least 4" away... correct?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have bennet trim tabs on my 21 foot boat. They are 18 wide by 12 deep (Cord).
My boats natural plane is 18 to 19 depending on load but
with the tabs I can reach plane at 12 and stay on plane to 9.
My tabs are oversized for my boat but that is what I wanted.

I did Have one problem.
I got the joy stick control and after about 5 years it got where it was
not real consistant as to when motor would engage.
I wanted the dual rocker switch anyway so I changed and it been perfect since.
First installed in 1981.

MVC-061F-1.jpg

P8030151-2.jpg

MVC-064F-1.jpg

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

trim tabs will help keep you up on plane but will also wash out your wake defeating the whole purpose. You will have to board around 21-22 on an I/O to keep on plane

QC

Supreme Mariner

Untrue . . . ^^^^ At least in my experience. They are not on or off . . . They are adjustable, so I can pull them up some and get a Monster wake at around 16 MPH, but still not fall off plane.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

yeah your boat may, but he says he's falling off plane at boarding speeds. So therefore trim tabs would fix his problem but wash out his wake. 16 is too slow to be boarding at also. that is more like wake surfing speed, which you don't need to plane for

QC

Supreme Mariner

My point is that I can adjust tabs for any speed and for wake variations as well . . . I can do the same at 18, 20, and 22 MPH. I can work trim against the tabs and dig a big hole at a variety of speeds, effectively I can make it plane worse than what would be with no tabs and trim all of the way in. Trim out, and keep her on plane with some tab. I do understand your point, but you do not have to use them only to make a more efficient wake, you can also use them to create a big wake with combinations impossible with trim alone.

Funny that the world believes you can dig a hole with a hull originally designed to eliminate as much wake as possible (tournament direct drive), but it is harder to believe that you can with a deep-V and the ability to adjust propulsion direction (trim) and hull shape (tabs). . . "I know, let's move the engine to the back and put in a V-drive, and then we'll put in some bags, fill them with water, and then we'll add one big trim tab but we'll call it something else. Voila Wakeboard Boat" . . . That's my spin :eek: