trim pump replacement

rocket350

Seaman Apprentice
I was thinking of replacing the trim pump and pistons off the 1993 donor boat for my 1987. The 1993 has a tank on the bottom that mine doesn't, and seems to have a lot more umph to it (and has a trim gadge too!!). Is this an easy swap, or is there bleeding of the system involved, and what kind of fluid does it take?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: trim pump replacement

Ayuh,.... It's pretty straight forward,... It's self-bleeding,+ uses ATF...

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: trim pump replacement

The trim gauge is driven by a sensor on the side of the outdrive. It doesn't have anything to do with the trim pump. Your outdrive probably already has the sensor for the trim gauge, the wires are probably just loose back near the transome.

I put a newer style trim pump on my boat. The newer pump had a different style connection than the older one. It was actually set up for some quick connect fittings. I managed to get a set of fittings at a local hydraulic shop that adapted the hoses in my boat to the threads needed for the newer trim pump. I think I may have posted something on that last fall when I did it. Not sure if I had posted part numbers or the sizes/types of threads involved..