Fiberglass safety gear

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wanted to show what I've been wearing for protection while grinding old resin out of our boat. Thought this may answer some questions with respect to what is needed to safely survive a restoration or repair project.

The hood is a homebrewed modification of an old shirt, but the rest can be bought from your local big box hardware store (e.g., Lowes, HomeDepot).

I've got a few photos with descriptions posted here.
http://boatrepair.sci-fer.com/transom-removal

This has been working well for me. I hope this helps.
Nick

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Fiberglass safety gear

Looks good. Make sure you check your filters, drink tons of water, and take a cool shower before the water gets hot.

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Fiberglass safety gear

Yep, nice gear, and you did it without spending the cash for white polyethylene bunny suits.

Like the man said, drink a lot of water. I personally sweat a lot, and in protective gear it's worse. Add to that a hot sunny day and I need to drink about 8 oz. of water every half hour, sometimes more.

Follow the old rule... if you're not making trips to the little boys' or girls' room, then you're not drinking enough. If you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

Other that safety, it makes a big difference in how much you get done how fast, and how many mistakes you make. Staying hydrated keeps you alert and smart.

Other than that, my only suggestion is that you keep an air hose around for occasionally blowing dust out of the HF polisher, and make sure no kids or pets are sitting around sucking dust.

Actually, one more thing... HF sold a white plastic collar ffor their 4 1/2 inch grinders, I picked up a couple on sale several weeks back. It clamps on the grinder like the existing guard does, but it has an attachment for a vacuum hose. I'll be trying that out next major grinding job to see if it keeps down the dust.

Erik