carb help 1978 v-1500

gregginger

Recruit
im rebuilding my outboard. ive got the carbs off right now cleaning and rebuilding them. the motor would only idle if i set the idle screw around 1000 rpm. ran great on the top end. whenever i shut it off, even if it was warmed up and just off for a minute i would have to prime the carbs again to get it running.

anyway the carbs are stamped wh2-1 top. wh2-2 middle. and wh2-2 bottom. according to the manual it should be wh2-1 on the bottom and the top. is there a difference between the two? jets according to the manual are the same size on all three. fuel tee's off from the pump 3 ways with a hose going to each carb.

any insight would be helpful. also some of the parts are no longer available. anyone have any ideas where to look incase i need something that is?

thanks

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: carb help 1978 v-1500

look at ishopmarine.com or oldmercs.com. I am in the middle of the same thing, mine read 1,2,3 stamped in the carbs. hmmm. I know one of them was changed from a 115hp that I got as a spare motor(thank god, this thing has saved me at least the 1000 dollars that i paid for the whole shebang, including the boat). Good luck, and oldmercs has a really nice dude to deal with. Seems like a mom and pop shop.

gregginger

Recruit
Re: carb help 1978 v-1500

thanks, im having trouble finding floats. some of them have worn marks from the inlet needle and the manual says to replace if thats the case. everywhere i look it says they are no longer available.

anyone have any idea if the bottom carb will be fine as long as the jets match the sizes in the chart? or where to find floats for a wh2 carb