97 Evinrude Oceanpro 150, ck engine light, buzzer at 3/4 throttle

jason5975

Cadet
I have a 97 evinrude 150 on a 19' bowrider. When I first got the boat 3 years ago, the warning buzzer / ck engine light came on whenever I ran at WOT for more than 45-60 seconds. Now it's doing it even at about 3/4 throttle or maybe even a little less. Engine generally runs good other than a rough spot about 1200-1500 rpms.

According to the manual, this indicates a "fuel flow problem." I have cleaned out the fuel filter and see no problems with any of the lines, and the tank is full. Any ideas?

The engine also won't idle after being tilted all the way up while anchored at the beach for several hours.

Thanks in advance
-Jason
Statesboro, GA
-Navigating GA coastal waters

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 97 Evinrude Oceanpro 150, ck engine light, buzzer at 3/4 throttle

Try running the boat on a remote tank as you may have a partialy plugged or sticky anti-syphon vavle in tank thats in the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

disconnect the fuel line when tilting the motor all the way up. at that angle the carbs are out of level, and the float needle allows fuel to flow. it also should have a fuel/water separator, change the filter. are you using a 3/8" fuel line?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jason, All the other advice is excellent. I also recommend that you remove the fuel pickup from the fuel tank and clean or remove the antisiphon valve. Those motors use a good amount of fuel at high speed, and the A-S valves often get clogged.

jason5975

Cadet

Thanks guys - I finally got the tank uncovered tonight after spending an hour finding the screws hidden below the carpet on the tank cover - then it was dark. Is the anti siphon valve inside the tank? I plan to putt out the fitting tomorrow and take a look - and I was thinking of putting the airline to the fuel hose (disconnected, of course) and make sure there is no blockage. It is 3/8 line so that shouldn't be an issue. I found a fuel filter at the engine, is there a separate fuel/water separator, and where is it? Thanks again!
-Jason
PS this is an injected motor - no carbs.

daselbee

Commander

PS this is an injected motor - no carbs.

Whoops!!! No carbs? Better post the exact model number ...beginning
E150....so we know exactly what motor this is.

I know I was expecting alot of carb talk here....

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If it is indeed the injected motor (FICHT), then the CHECK ENGINE light can mean a multiple of things, just like the one in your vehicle.

To know for sure, see a dealer who can connect a laptop to it and read out any error codes.

The most common causes for the warning light are:
water in fuel filter
low charging voltage
high charging voltage
overheating engine computer
throttle position sensor out of adj.

daselbee

Commander

There are no E150 "F"....models in 1997 parts listing...
Post model number so we know what to deal with.

jason5975

Cadet

Sorry I didn't give the model #, its a E150EXEU. According to the owners manual, the ck engine light means "fuel supply is being restricted." It doesn't list anything else, so I don't know if that's the only thing it could mean or not.

jason5975

Cadet

Is the anit siphon valve located inside the tank?

daselbee

Commander

OK, so it is a carb'ed model.
The check engine warning light in the Systems Check tach indicates a fuel restriction, as you have read.
That means that the fuel pump is pulling too much vacuum in the fuel line.
Sometimes another indicator of this is a collapsing primer bulb.
If the primer bulb is collapsing, look for the restriction toward the tank.
Also, one thing cannot be ignored, and that is the vacuum switch itself. It could be going bad over time and giving a false warning. But this is not likely.
Make sure you have 3/8" fuel hose all the way from the tank to the engine, that no filters are restricted, that the anti-siphon valve is working, etc.
Try it with the fuel filler cap off to "force" complete venting of the tank.
Don't run it with a fuel restriction, as it will run lean and burn up.
It should be a simple fix...just find the restriction.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The Antisiphon Valve is usually in the fitting that screws into the elbow on the fuel tank fuel pickup. It can also be in the pickup tube itself.

jason5975

Cadet

Problem has gotten worse...The antisiphon valve is clean and moves freely. The fuel bulb does not collapse, but can be pumped maybe 1/2 squeeze ( I think this is normal?) The fuel bulb is right before the engine. I disconnected the line going into the fuel pump, and when I squeeze the bulb fuel flows freely and in great quantity - I assume this means there is no restriction? The pickup tube in the tank is clean and I don't see any water/ trash/ debris in the tank. Now the engine is surging and sometimes won't plane the boat and the buzzer goes off more frequently. This is a carbeurated motor, as daselbee pointed out. The guy I bought it from said it was injected and honestly I never really looked that closely - the carbs are black plastic and look like throttle bodies unless you pay close attention. Made me feel kind of dumb. Thanks for the suggestions, and if anyone has any more I'd be happy to hear them. The local shop told me nothing was wrong. I can't find anybody to work on it without a 3-4 week wait. thanks. -Bummed out, high and dry..............

jason5975

Cadet

oh and I did open the fuel filler door to make sure the tank was vented - no difference. and it is 3/8 fuel line all the way.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jason, the Check Engine Alarm is controlled by a vacuum sensor on the fuel line. Why not try a portable tank to see if that fixes it. If not, perhaps the sensor is bad?

daselbee

Commander

^^^^^^
As chris1956 says.
It is time to check and make absolutely sure that warning horn is going off because of a fuel restriction. You will find on the port side of the motor, located very near the fuel pump, a plastic round switch about the size of a half dollar, with two wires coming out of it. One wire will be tan/orange and the other wire will be black. Also, you will see a small fuel line connected to the switch. Just disconnect the electrical connector there, and run it again. If the alarm never sounds, then YES, that is the particular sensor that is causing your problems.
Once you are sure it is the fuel restriction sensor, you must determine whether the switch itself is bad, or if it truly is detecting a fuel restriction in the incoming fuel supply. More than likely, the switch is OK.

Chris1956 suggests swapping a different fuel line and bulb and portable tank in for testing purposes.

You could also just shotgun the vacuum switch. But I doubt that the switch is the problem. You may have a bad primer bulb, working when you pump it, but not allowing fuel to be drawn through from fuel pump action.
Isolate the parts of the system on the fuel pump inlet side and you will find the restriction.
The manual for your engine discusses how to test the fuel restriction warning system in detail with vacuum gauges, etc.

Last edited:

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is also a screw in style fuel filter, on the fuel pump bracket. Check that and there is a float with a needle and seat in the vapour seperator that may be stucking.