Couple questions

Tazman282

Seaman
I have been attempting to replace transom, stringers, floor on my 21 foot CC. The materials recommended to me were 1oz CSM and then 1708 Biax.

I built the Transom out of the Biax, was that supposed to be for the stringers?

If I use the 1oz CSM how many layers do I need?

I also have a spot in the hull where someone repaired it from the outside which is all nice and smooth no problems. However, on the inside I have a big chunk of hardness with some spots where the fiberglass is cracked and and coming up, my guess is from grinding and sanding from the outside. This repair was done 10 plus years ago and I have had no problems. Should I grind it all out because I can or just leave it alone?

I have made cross supports to lay on top of the stringers for the floor, do they need fiberglass too or just the resin? Same goes with bottom of floor. I am using 3/4 ply, do I need to fiberglass the bottom too or just the resin?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Tazman282

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Couple questions

Sometimes a question gets overlooked and then lost when it moves down the list, good thing you brought it back up.

You can use the 1708 for the entire project (transom and stringers) the CSM will help you build bulk in some areas and help in getting the 1708 to laydown, it tends to not want to follow the curve of a radius sometimes.

CSM has little strength when compared to 1708, so just use to help with the 1708.

If the old repair looks good from the outside, then just grind it smooth on the inside and lay a layer or two of glass over it.