hydro electric drive connector plugs

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I have a 72 65hp and a 71 50 hp. Both have yellow plugs. I needed another set of controls and foub them on ebay. When I got the controls it has a black plug not yellow. Will this work on a yellow plugged motor? I think the black plug was for somthing called amplified spark ignition?

Question is do I need to rewire this box can someone post a woring diegram for this black plug?

thanks

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: hydro electric drive connector plugs

I asked the same question about a week ago and received no replies. I guess no one here knows. I'll call my local OMC/BRP dealer tomorrow - I'd like to get an answer for my own purposes too, and the guy who owns the dealership knows the old motors really well.

Give me a day or so to reply.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Must not have seen your question. Of course we know. The plug color is related to the type of ignition and shift.
Black Plugs = Hydroelectric with amplified battery ignition

Yellow Plugs = Hydroelectric with Mag CD ignition

Red Plugs = Mechanical shift with Mag CD

Source = Willy B Wright, iboats

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I saw that part in another post, F R, but the question is - can you use a black plug hydro-electric control unit on a yellow plug hydro-electric motor and vice versa. I just got back from my local OMC/BRP dealer, where I asked the question of three of their multi-decade service techs. The answer is no, because there are differences in the wiring, which are related to the differences in the ignition system types.

PS: BTW, I went to the dealer to get a bolt too - its the small flange type bolt that fastens the powerhead to the top of the midsection on a 1969 Johnson 6hp motor. The price for this little bolt was $10.66! Each!

:eek: YIKES! :eek:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

PS: BTW, I went to the dealer to get a bolt too - its the small flange type bolt that fastens the powerhead to the top of the midsection on a 1969 Johnson 6hp motor. The price for this little bolt was $10.66! Each!
:eek: YIKES! :eek:

Yikes is right. I looked at a shift lever for my 1970 6 hp. At $127, I'll make do with my busted one.....

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does anyone have the wiring diagram for the black plug. I could ohm them out one at a time but I would rather just look at a diagram. Also what years have the amplified batt ignition?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

1971 50hp is yellow plug, while the 60hp triple is black plug. In 1972, the triple went to 65hp and yellow plug.