U-joints Can't Really Be This Easy. . .Can They?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so thank you to everyone who has stuck with me during this process, a process I would not be worried about had the previous owner of my boat done any maintenance whatsoever. Anyways, I'll bite my tongue on that subject. My situation is:
I have removed my Alpha One Gen II outdrive, in order to replace the bellows, gimbal bearing, and u-joints. Got the old gimbal bearing out and the new one in today (not much time to work on the boat, as it is in storage during the week), and removed the old u-joints. While taking out the old u-joints, I noticed that there is a "cap" on each end. Well, I had to pry this cap off of each side, after removing C-clips, to remove the old ones. The new ones also have this cap, however the greasing nipple(?) is located in a different spot.

Is it really as simple as removing the caps off the new ones to stick it in there, and then replacing the caps? Will that damage them in any way? Also, which way do most people install gimbal bearings, slots facing out, or in towards transom?

Thank you again for all the help in advance.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: U-joints Can't Really Be This Easy. . .Can They?

Does anyone have anything to add?

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What does the factory manual say regarding how this is done?

Maclin

Admiral

You remove the caps, place the centersection in the yoke then push the caps in from the outside of the yoke onto the centersection. Clamp or press the caps to make sure they bottom out then put on the c-clips. Perform this for each yoke.

It is critical that the needle bearings around the inside of the cap remain intact. Usually on a new ujoint they have enough grease that they stay stuck where they belong. If any of them move or leave and are not repositioned and it gets installed like that then the ujoint will not last long.

If a u-joint must be removed and you are thinking about re-using it, removing the caps may cause the needle bearings to fall out. That is a good indication to NOT re-use that ujoint. The needles have worn some and/or not enough grease stuck around and it is not to be trusted.

Maclin

Admiral

On u-joints that have the c-clips on the inside I push one cap all the way thru onto the center, put the c-clip on then push the other cap on until it bottoms out and the c-clip groove is fully "available" then put that c-clip on. That works well for me anyway.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

jhall on ebay sells a ujoint kit that is 20 dollars and they work great...

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for the replies. I did get my ujoints from jhall, met him in person. Ok, so you can remove the caps, that helps. Yeah, my old u-joints were demolished in the process of removing them. I did not notice anything in the manual regarding removing the caps for the new ones. Also, I installed the gimbal bearing with slots out, is that acceptable or should I change it while everything is off?

Thank you.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

I installed my bearing with the slots facing out, but I think I read somewhere that that is actually backward. It works for me because I can take it out and grease it this way. Mine is too old to be greased from the outside. I just pop it out, grease it, put it back in, grab the alignment tool and go from there.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for the replies. I did get my ujoints from jhall, met him in person. Ok, so you can remove the caps, that helps. Yeah, my old u-joints were demolished in the process of removing them. I did not notice anything in the manual regarding removing the caps for the new ones. Also, I installed the gimbal bearing with slots out, is that acceptable or should I change it while everything is off?

Thank you.

Slots in slots out won't matter on the gimbal brg. U-joints are as easy as they look. As mentioned above, don't let the needles get out of place. Not sure where your grease zirks (nipples) are located on these u-joints, just make sure you can get to them with a grease gun when installed.

James

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you. The zirks will be a pita to get to, as they are right in the center of the "x" shape that the u-joints make, but I will rig up something to get there.

Through-out this whole process (well, with the exception of removing old gimbal bearing, and reattaching new drive shaft bellows, as well as replacing a hose broke in the process) this almost seems to be going too easy. I am very skeptical of it. I did put the alignment tool in, it slides back pretty far and very easily, and then I think that is as far as it is able to go. Seems pretty simple.

I managed to get the gimbal bearing as far back as I could, and it is definitely wedged in there, but what could potentially happen if it wasn't all the way back? I think it is, but there might be a very small gap behind it.

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

There was a distinct change in the sound as I hammered my gimbal bearing in. I seem to remember reading that the "chamfered edge" must be pounded at least flush with the face.

I think the concern with not fully seating the bearing is having it cocked slightly and therefore causing a mis-alignment with the engine.

I guess you are considering the job "too easy" cause it hasn't seemed like you have done the $700 in labor the local marina wanted? :D

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

The gimbal brg needs to be correctly positioned or the grease won't go into it.
Hopefully you lined up the outer sleeve gap with the hole on the brg assy and lined that up with the hole from the tube to the grease zirk on the hsg. You should be able to pump grease in there and have it come out around the edge of the part of the brg that the shaft goes through.

Face the grease zirks towards the shaft on the u-joints, you can then get to them with a standard greas gun.

James

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, thanks again. Well, I know my alignment is good. I could not find the hole where that zirk came in for the gimbal bearing, so now I guess I gotta pull it and look better.

And as far as too easy, personally I would charge $700 for just removing that old gimbal bearing!! The first night when I was using that slide hammer, while I was sleeping that night, all I heard was "Clang, clang, clang. ." My arms felt like they were gonna fall off, and that stupid thing wouldn't budge! Then after drilling the holes was suggested, it only took me about two hours from that point. So all in all, after gaining access to the old gimbal bearing, I would say I spent close to 5 hours removing it. After drilling, that thin layer seemed glued to the housing for the gimbal bearing, and I had to scrape all that off.

I believe my gimbal bearing came packed with grease, is that common? And, how often are you supposed to grease it? What I am getting at is I returned the slide hammer already, and would hate to drill holes through the new gimbal bearing to try to line it up with that zirk. I guess it's those little details that I always leave out.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Bummer on the grease. I wouldn't reuse a gimbal brg that I pulled out with a slaphammer. You are hamering on the inner part of the brg to remove it. All is not lost since you installed with the slots out you can **** the brg to the side and pull it out through the slots leaving the outer ring in the hsg.

I always grease the heck out of new ones I install. I never see any other grease come out before seeing the stuff I'm using. You want to be able to grease it at a minimum anually. I know you don't want to hear it but I have to suggest you pull it out and replace it with another new one. At a minimum **** it sideways and pull the brg out the slots and grease the snot out of it.

James

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for all the help on many threads, James. People like you and Don S should start charging for your useful info.

I guess I will buy another bottle of Patron, as well as a 12 pack of Corona, and get at it. I did put a ton of gimbal bearing lube behind it, I mean, I pretty much filled that recessed area directly behind it, and continued to turn the alignment tool to spread it all the way around. Does that mean anything? Like, maybe it should be good for a while? I know this may sound like I'm being lazy, but man, some salty sailors told me I had a foul mouth during this process. Not to mention, with all the blood I lost, I might as well have donated a couple pints to the BloodMobile.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

U-joints are pretty easy as you can see....

Well at least you saved more than enough money to buy that Patron!!

Drink the Patron, and stare at picture below!!
You'll be fine!
bravoIII2.gif

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah that picture helps. My prop does that, but in the last 3 or so weeks, it only does that when I spin it with my hand. . What a bummer. . Oh well, I guess I should have it done soon.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Am I reading it right? Did you pack the gimble bearing or the hole in the the bearing?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

When I purchased the gimbal bearing, it came packed with grease already. Now, I was referring to that recessed area right behind the gimbal bearing. I made sure it was filled with grease, due to the fact that it had grease there prior to me removing the old one.

haulnazz15

Captain

It likely had grease there because it was excess from the exterior grease zirk that pushed its way out of the bearing race.