OMC Fuel delivery problem

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a1967-68 ? Omc 17 Deluxe Moce engine dont know what size ?? The little silver thing is missing ? Theres the spot on the engine but its not there. where else on the engine to look?

The out drive says 382213 and shows 90- 120 hp whats that mean ?

My question is it has a fuel pump but as of right now theres no gas in the tank. When i put gas in the tank will it flow back to the pump ? Or do i have to crank the engine over to have it brought to the pump ? Never had an inboard. I dont want to wreck the pump.

Would it work better if i would put some gas in the sediment bowl ??

Ill post pics if needed

Engine

DSCN1808.jpg

Help please ??

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: OMC Fuel delivery problem

I have the answer to your question and every single future question.

Get rid of the boat. You'll never find parts for it. That is a relic beyond relics... Donate it to the smithsonian :)

Boat probably has a steel gas tank, and it's probably rusted up too. There's not much sense in even putting fuel into it.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

tOK i know parts are hard to find but for christ sake junk it ?? Like you cant find parts anywhere. Hell i gave 2 old 90 hp away same engine almost. This one is just on its side.

Yes steel gas tank no not rusted at all . Old owner was just tierd of the boat and too old for it......Junk it Bahh

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Go for it. find parts fix it run it. But I wouldnt. Its hard enough keeping boats runnning that you can get parts for. Parts for outdrive are probably NLA too.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what i understand the cobra outdrive is interchangeable.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Looks like a sideways outboard!:eek:

I doubt it will hurt the pump to put gas in the tank and crank it.
It should draw the fuel to the motor...
Could put some premix in a spray bottle and spray it in the carbs while cranking..

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Have a look here- tons of info:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/all_omc_boats.htm

and here:
http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/

there aren't too many fans of those sorts of hobby boats around this i/o forum.
I *think* it uses a lot of common Evinrude and Johnson outboard parts. It might be a fairly common outboard powerhead.

If you can find out what outboard powerhead is basically in there, it will help you with what sort of fuel pump is on it and you might eventually find more info in the Evinrude/Johnson outboard forum. 1960 is a new motor with some of the folks over there... less hostility towards anything old and odd

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am sure that it is a vacuum pump and all the rubber diaphragms are shot sitting open to the air.
Premix in the carb and cranking to see what it does sounds like a good place to start, be nice to know the compressions as well.

Cobra outdrive interchangeability ? :eek:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's an old Evinrude/Johnson outboard power head, and nothing anyone here in the IO forum deal with regularly. Will move this over to the J/E Forum for better information.

Willyclay

Captain

If you are ready to crank it, use a remote tank from your outboard with premix instead of risking everything on the old internal tank at this stage of the project. Good luck!

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

THanks i might try tonight to start it If i have time.

THanks everyone !