Engine smoke??? Too much gas?? HELP!!!

akapolas

Cadet
My 200HP Johnson OceanRunner smokes very heavy and plugs are wet with oil. I changed plugs, sprayed carb cleaner down the carbs and still getting a lot of smoke. I thought I maybe mixed too much gas, so I put 50oz of fuel in a bucket and 1oz oil, mixed it, disconnected the fuel line and put in the engine. I started the engine and still got smoke, but noticed that it sucked down the 50oz of gas in about a minute or so. Is that normal?

I should also add, I disconnected the VRO tank and now mix my own gas. Do you think it can be fuel pump related? or choke related?

I've been fighting with this engine for a week straight and can't figure out the problem...HELP!!!

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Engine smoke??? Too much gas?? HELP!!!

I had a similar problem with my evinrude v4 it smoked alot and really sucked down the fuel you could just smell it, turned out 1 cylinder broke a ring and it gouged the cylinder, compression was way down on the effected cylinder.

akapolas

Cadet
Re: Engine smoke??? Too much gas?? HELP!!!

I don't smell gas, but is it normal for her to suck down 50oz is a minute? It seems like a lot of gas.

I should also add that there is a lot of oil coming out the exhaust as well, and I also noticed that the primer bulb doesn?t get too hard when the engine is running. Should it be really hard?

Has anyone had the same issue that was related to a fuel pump after they removed the VRO tank?

I'm going to try to do a compression test today and will update.

I don't know too much about these engines, I'm learning as I go, so excuse me if I sound like an amateur.

Thanks for all the help.