Any suggestions for getting in the boat?

bandman72

Cadet
Ok, I know it sounds wierd, but I need some suggestions to get my father in my boat. I'm 36, he's a 67 year old man in a 99 year old man's body. He has bad knees, and bad shoulders. He can't climb up to get in the boat, can't lift his leg over the side of the boat. I thought about having him sit on the dock and drop his legs in, but I would never get him back out. His health being what it is, I'd like to spend some time with him on the lake this summer. Any real "good" suggestions?

Span 24

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Any suggestions for getting in the boat?

First (and this may seem obvious) but do make certain that he uses an appropriate PFD at all times while in the boat, perhaps even a Type I.

Also, check with your local nursing home regarding methods for moving their residents. Several members of my family work in the medical field including nursing homes and I know that they have some very specific methods for moving people with difficulties. Into and out of beds, bathtubs, and seats. All with a focus on hurting neither the patient, or the assistant. Perhaps they would share some of this information with you. I remember a device called a gait-belt which was used to maintain a grip on unstable bodies. I am guessing that, if you are to get him into and out of the boat, you will simply have to assist him. Being prepared for this is probably your best course.

Hope this helps!

I wish you and your father safe and happy boating!

Michael

Sharkfighter

Cadet

My wife has MS and has trouble getting on and off the boat and into the mates seat. I bought a handle at West Marine that fits in the fish Rod Holder when she gets in and out. She holds on to that and steps down onto a step stool type thing I bought at Lowes.

My dad also made it onto the boat with a little help and he is in poor health but was glad to spend time with him. We put the PFD on him before he evenw ent on the Dock and was a sight to see him moving down the Dock with his walker.

I can take some pics of the setup easier then I can describe it. Shoot me a PM if you think that would help.

Attached a pic of mom and Dad on boat.

Rob

Attachments

• CIMG4379 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG4379 (Medium).JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 0

Jeep Man

Commander

Not sure what kind of boat you have. This may not be considered a "real" suggestion, but the fellow I bought my old pontoon boat from had purchased it for that same reason. His elderly parents had no problem getting on or off the boat.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

I would take a strip of plywood, about 3 feet wide by maybe 6 or 7 feet long, put a 2x4 under each side going the full length for stability, and, if needed, make a couple steps on there to avoid slipping hazards. That should help from the dock to the boat, and to get down in the boat, maybe a shorter contraption that you can sit at an angle.
What kind of boat do you have?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Post some pictures of the dock you want him to board from and your boat and I will come up with something.
My Dad is 86, My Mom is 84 reasonably active for their years but I made a stairway kind of contraption for them to use last time they visited from England last summer. Left it at the cottage though. Wish I had got some photos of it.
P.M. me if you need to.
We'll get him boating !!!
Ken.

kg5388

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't have any pics with me but when Mom had a stroke I mounted a lifting pole on my boat trailer. I removed the rear seat of my ski boat and would lift her in her wheelchair and set her in the boat.
You could try that with a swing.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37555

37555.gif

Willyclay

Captain

I was your age and my Dad was 70 when we took our last fishing trip. I used the method you described of sitting on the edge of the dock and swinging his legs in the boat. The final move was me pulling and him sliding into the boat. Reverse it upon return. Wish somebody had suggested those PT belts for a positive grip back then. That time together was very important to both of us. Good luck!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have you thought of renting a pontoon boat. easy access, stable platform.

bandman72

Cadet

I forgot to mention that we live in south-central Michigan. We're never more than a couple of miles from a body of water, although neither of us live on one. I have a 12' aluminum that I bought last fall. As far as the dock goes, some of the launches around have them, some don't. We've been fishing for years from the shore, but I'd like to get him back out in the lake.

CATransplant

Admiral

I forgot to mention that we live in south-central Michigan. We're never more than a couple of miles from a body of water, although neither of us live on one. I have a 12' aluminum that I bought last fall. As far as the dock goes, some of the launches around have them, some don't. We've been fishing for years from the shore, but I'd like to get him back out in the lake.

Well, that makes it a lot more difficult. Little 12' tinnies are not that easy to get into from a dock, even if you're healthy and spry. My suggestion is that you beach the boat and have your dad get in it from the beach. That way, the boat's stable, and that's the most important thing. Otherwise, when you get into a 12' boat from a dock, it tends to move a lot, and that's dangerous.

Then, you can push off and climb in, yourself. You'll have wear shorts and water shoes, but that would be the safest thing with a small boat. Pick a lake with a sandy shore, and you won't do your boat any harm.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think CATransplant has the right idea. Get Dad into the boat from shore. Maybe bring a step stool to help him climb in. Then drag the boat out into the water.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

watch for the tide going out, and then the dock may be 3 or 4 ft higher.
if the dock is not floating, but fixed.
but i guess there are no tides on lake michigan.

some ramps on the bay here can be 10 ft to the top of the dock at low tide.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

if he is a veteran check with your local American Legion or VFW. several of ours here in minnesota have fishing days to take older or handicapped fisherman out fishing. usually guys donate their time and boats and in most cases they are larger stable boats. they even do a Boundry waters canoe trip every year.

Sharkfighter

Cadet

Like I posted earlier my dad and my wife (she has MS) both need help getting on the boat. They both walk with a walker or cane and use wheel chairs a lot.

My boat situation is different then the original poster however because my boat is bigger and they are getting on at a floating dock. When boat is in water next to dock the top of gunwales is about even with dock. I have this handle and step stool combo they can use.

Here is a pic below (but at my house). Handle latches into rod holder for use as needed.

I dont think this would work on a 12 ft boat. In the case of the 12 fter I would think beaching it for stability and maybe using step stool or some type of wood ramp as needed might work better.

Attachments

• P5020061 (Medium).JPG
    P5020061 (Medium).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sharkfighter fantastic idea from semi - mobile.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

or, maybe the easiest way would be to stop with the boat still on the trailer at a point on the ramp where the boat is level with the dock. And be right next to the dock. Then let them get in the boat, before it touches water, and back down all the way, and launch the boat.
That way the boat will not rock when they get in.

But this may not be possible the way some boat ramp docks are set up.

You need a dock that runs fairly high down the side of the ramp.