Built-in Cooler Not Well Insulated

jclarke2899

Seaman
I recently bought a boat that has a cooler underneath the glove box. The idea is great, but ice doesn't last long at all. I was wondering if anyone else on here had this problem and things you've done to address this issue. I don't want to lose any cooler interior space if I can avoid it, but thought I'd try some blue board/pink board extruded polystyrene and build a box underneath the cooler, the best I can. The hardest part will be insulating the underside of the top of the cooler compartment. I'm going to have to do that from underneath, and am thinking of possibly a spray on insulation. Maybe a spray on insulation would be best for the entire underside of the cooler as well? I'd love to hear any other ideas you might have and any products out there to try!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Built-in Cooler Not Well Insulated

What I have noticed about these built in coolers as they do not have a plug . . . All of the good cold meltwater simply drains overboard. If you have not tried it with a plug, then my suggestion would be to try that first. Superior insulation would obviously improve the situation if you have plugged it and the hold time is still poor.

jclarke2899

Seaman

Mine has a plug in it, however, it was leaking a little, so I need to give it another fair try since I fixed the leak. Works much like those rubber hull drain plugs for the boat. I may still try something before going out again. I'd love for ice to last about 6-8 hours in the sun, it lasted 3-4 on my last trip, so maybe it will be close to 6 with the repaired drain.
I saw some stuff called Reflectix at Lowes that I might try to wrap around it as well, looks like the same stuff in some soft coolers.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Did you ever consider the fact that you may not be drinking fast enough???

If you have room to add insulation the blue board will work or even the foil coated 3/4 will help out. I guess based on the location.... as long as the added insulation will be out of sight and not look bad..... try it.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got an idea for my resto', thanks. Maybe this is unfeasible, but maybe you could remove the one there and install a better one (hard to say w/o pics).

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Did you ever consider the fact that you may not be drinking fast enough???

From a moderater, I would have expected somewhat of a more mature attitude!!!!

But I was really thinking the same thing :D

jclarke2899

Seaman

About the not drinking fast enough, apparently you all really don't know me and my buddies, haha. I think that's most of my problem, I'm always reaching into it letting hot air in.

I haven't found many other people complaining of this, so I'm going to give it another shot, now that my drain won't leak, and I'll insulate the flimsy plastic lid with an old soft cooler lid I have here and see if it works better before I really change things.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

From a moderater, I would have expected somewhat of a more mature attitude!!!!

But I was really thinking the same thing :D

See..... it's true :D Great minds think alike ;)