3.5 hp gamefisher several problems.

166oldboat

Cadet
ok, i bought a boat with a 4 hp johnson over the weekend and the guy gave me a 3.5 hp gamefisher for free because it was locked up. And so far what i can find is that the piston is seized near bottom dead center...cannot get penetrating oil to sit due to intake and exhaust ports in the cylinder...if anyone has any suggestions with that i'm all ears. And the second problem is that the lower unit (gear case portion) has no oil and the gears are rusted together. Is there any hope for this little motor? I'd really like to have it for duck season this fall/winter if possible. I'm open to suggestions

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 3.5 hp gamefisher several problems.

Not worth fixing. Truly. You should be able to find one just like it that's running for $50-75. Toss it or take off usable parts and sell them on ebay.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Part it out and use the 4hp.I can't find the words to tell you how much better the 4 is than the 3.5.even if it was new out of the box.

166oldboat

Cadet

well, not what i wanted to hear but i'm no pro, and have no exp. with this motor. I may kepp it off to the side and tinker with it here and there, just to see if i can get it going, or i may just part it out....don't know yet.