Gear Lube Mixup (Possibly)

elliott08

Recruit
I'm sorry if this is a repeat post, I did do a search..

Anyway, my friend offered to winterize my 90-merc outboard last fall in return for storing his jet ski.

I just found the empty Merc gear Lube bottle. He used a hi-grade lube however it's clear. What he drained out was a blue/green lube. Should I assume this was synthetic and he used regular? Should I be concerend of the mixing issue? What should I do?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear Lube Mixup (Possibly)

I have never used a clear gear lube in a lower unit. However that does not mean one does not exist. Wait for some more responses from some folk that may have more knowledge on the subject.
But a good rule to follow is,

"If in doubt"
"Drain it out"

And refill with something that you know is correct.

elliott08

Recruit

Thanks, when I say clear I actually mean yellow color lube. The lube used this time was Merc Premium. My concern is the lube that was drained was blue/green which may be High Performance Synthetic which you cannot mix. I guess I need to know if draining the synthetic and refilling with Premium is considered mixing the two?

As you mention, maybe if I just drain and refill again with Premium, I'll be fine.. It' a brand new motor and I hate to wreck something by stupidy. Although that's normally how things happen right? ; )

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just come across this today at the Mercury dealer. Your right that the yellow gear lub is the premium and the dark green is synthetic. The dealer told me that Mercury is requiring the dealers to only use the synthetic. Of course, it costs more.
I have used both in my 8hp trolling motor. Drained out the last years synthetic, and installed the premium. But then again I did have a leaky seal, but I think that was due more to the bend propeller shaft and not the lub.
If I had a new motor, and was unsure, I would drain the premium out and put in the synthetic. Just for the peace of mind.