Home Depot into boating business???

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I got this Home Depot Email Add for an automatic 500GPH Sahara bilge pump for $39.98.$10.00 less than I-boats.After checking it out I ordered one and that is when strange things started happening.First the site claimed that the pump was back ordered,but as soon as the pumps become available they will send it to me.Then I try to pay and check out but thanks to fire fox it did not get that far.The https Home Depot website turned out to use somebody else's security certificate which made the deal invalid...
In short I ordered from Iboats and although they did not honor the low price guarantee it still was only $5 more expensive because of cheaper shipping and they do not charge sales tax across state lines.
The thought of somebody hacking into the home depot website is a very scary one.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Home Depot into boating business???

Very scary indeed !!!!
Thanks for the info.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Home depot does sell the bilge pump that you referenced. They also sell it at the price described.

If you clicked the link in the email, you were probably a near victim of a well known scam - that of directing you to a web page that is not home depot's.

Beware of unsolicited emals!

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It is very likely that for the order process Home Depot uses a processing agent that uses a generic unsigned certificate that would make it seem like phishing. Probably 'ok' to proceed if www.homedepot.com (or .ca) was the address in the address bar, but at the same time... for the extra $5, why not order from iboats anyways? :) It'd be my guess that Home Cheapo gets enough in-store business anyways that they really don't need any extra help from the boating community.

Expidia

Commander

... for the extra $5, why not order from iboats anyways? :)

This is a great point. I still search out my best price when ordering items, but when the bottom line is close, I usually try and give my business to Iboats.

It would be a shame to see iboats go the way of Boaters World etc. if we as members could have helped them during these unprecedented tight times for everyone.

This forum is a great place to share ideas and boating information. Show me where other online vendors/stores provide you with a free forum as busy and has a many knowledgeable boating members as this forum.

No one from iboats has ever pressured me to buy here because I frequent the forums.

So let's all try and help iboats out during what has to be hard economic times for everyone and at a bare minimum at least include them in your price comparisons. Give them a chance to price match.

P.S. I find their search engine sometimes misses the item I'm looking for only to have the item pop up under iboats as a seller when I'm scrolling through Google. So call them if you can't find an item because iboats seems to carry or have access to pretty much everything the other boating sources do.