1987 Mercury Classic 50 - Water Pump Installation Help

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. Getting ready to install a new impeller and gaskets on my 87 45 HP Classic Fifty. As I am reading through my manual, I have come across a section that is confusing to me...and need some help. There is a section at the end of the installation instructions titled "WATER PUMP BASE SHIMMING" - and it says "if unit is equipped with a one-piece drive shaft bearing, the water pump base must be properly shimmed". It then goes on to explain the many different ways of shimming.

I have never had to do this when installing a water pump on my 150 Black Max. Is this something that I will need to do with my 45 HP?

Any help you guys could give me on this one would be greatly appreciated. AC.

jeffdjpeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Mercury Classic 50 - Water Pump Installation Help

i just replaced the entire pump housing etc... on my 1986 merc 60Hp and i never shimmed a thing, runs like a top, pees like a race horse, i would imagine yours is similar, or the same. could your manual refer to numerous years for the motor, possibly older models??

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1987 Mercury Classic 50 - Water Pump Installation Help

the shims come with the kit and you install them all just count how many came out with the old one - they are the flat metal plates below the gasket .