New Mercriser 4.3 cuts out on throttle up

energy7

Recruit
I had a new 4.3 engine installed. The new engine came with a 4 barrel intake. The installer installed a mod plate to allow my old 2 barrel to be installed on the 4 barrel intake. Anyway, now when I go to full throttle to pull someone out of the water the engine cuts out. Any ideas? Could the shop have installed an new crate auto engine? could this be the wrong cam for boat applications? Help and thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New Mercriser 4.3 cuts out on throttle up

mod plate to allow my old 2 barrel to be installed on the 4 barrel intake. Anyway, now when I go to full throttle to pull someone out of the water the engine cuts out.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....
Sounds like your Old 2bbl. is in dire need of Attention,....

I'd buy an Edlebrock Performer for it.... You'll appreciate the Difference....

MikDee

Banned

Bond-o, You do mean an Edelbrock performer 4bbl carburetor, Right? Not an edelbrock performer manifold :confused:

I'd agree, that 4bbl is the cheapest easiest mod you could do, and get the most bang for the buck! Probably instant 30hp ;)

P.S. It should work fine with the 2bbl, but it sounds like the carb needs some fixing.

energy7

Recruit

The 2 barrel worked fine with the old engine. Why it it work differently now?

energy7

Recruit

Bond-o, You do mean an Edelbrock performer 4bbl carburetor, Right? Not an edelbrock performer manifold :confused:

I'd agree, that 4bbl is the cheapest easiest mod you could do, and get the most bang for the buck! Probably instant 30hp ;)

P.S. It should work fine with the 2bbl, but it sounds like the carb needs some fixing.

The carb worked fine on the old engine and I've had it to a boat shop and they couldn't figure out the problem. Any ideas?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

...I've had it to a boat shop and they couldn't figure out the problem. Any ideas?

Find a new shop.

First, what are you losing? Fuel or spark?

I agree with the above, and spark is not as likely, since your issue is load dependent. There are numerous posibilities, how long was the carb sitting on the bench for the engine swap? Are there gaskets above and below the adapter plate?

Next suggestion, check out the adults only sticky. There are some great tutorials there that will help you out.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Start from the beginning. Is the fuel good? Do you have a screen in the fuel line in the tank that might be clogged? That's what I did and it is the easiest to check and cheapest to change. You might be getting flow but not enough at full load.

sdoomaha

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maybe my thinking is out of line, but for the $$$ you paid for a new motor and to have them install it, I think you could reasonably expect the boat to run perfectly. Take it back to them and let them figure it out...you shouldn't have to trouble shoot someone's work who is supposed to know what they are doing.

Back to lurking mode...

Steve O.

MikDee

Banned

Start from the beginning. Is the fuel good? Do you have a screen in the fuel line in the tank that might be clogged? That's what I did and it is the easiest to check and cheapest to change. You might be getting flow but not enough at full load.

This is such a common complaint on many boats, it's a good place to start checking, the mandatory antisiphon valve (check valve) on, or in the fuel tank, and the fuel tank screen.