operating instructions for 71 johnson warmup lever?

T.J.

Cadet
I just got a 1971 Johnson 50 horse with hydro electric shift, shift works great thank god, but I am not familiar with the warm-up lever operation. Just upgraded from a 69 33 hp rude which did not have this feature. If someone could let me know how this is supposed to work I would appreciate it. Also if you could let me in on how to properly adjust the throttle cable so it works as it should, my Clymer manual has no info on the control. Thank you for your time.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: operating instructions for 71 johnson warmup lever?

The warmup lever merely advances the throttle a little bit, without having to move the single lever that is the throttle/gearshift. Its purpose is to feed a little more air (and hence, fuel) to the carburetor while the engine is cold. This allows the motor to remain idling, while the engine warms up.

One of the the best ways for you to see what it does, is to remove the engine's cowl and watch the throttle lever on the starbord side of the powerhead. With the engine off, move the throttle/gearshift lever into forward and advance it a little bit. Next, leave that handle alone and pull the warmup lever a bit. You will see the throttle lever on the engine move, just as it did when you used the larger handle.

You can experiment with your motor in various temperature conditions to see when and how much you need to use the warm up lever. On a hot summer day, you may not need to use it at all. On a cool evening, you may need to advance it a little and on a cold day or night, you may need to advance it quite a bit.

T.J.

Cadet

I understand the purpose and theory behind the lever, but I am most curious as to how the control is supposed to operate. Because it is labeled start in the up position and run in the down. I wish I could post a pic. but am unable so describing is all I can do. So it is aparently to be left locked out for normal operation of the controls. For if it is in either position you cannot use the shift/throttle lever ?

T.J.

Cadet

Thanks for the insight but I figured it out. Trials and experimenting usually results learning what you did not know.