Sea King 5

RoadKill021

Recruit
I have a Wards Sea King
Model: J5001106CC
Serial: 371425
Type: XTV 27005 B
I don't know what year it is or much else about it. I am currently needing fuel line connectors (both ends) for it. Any information anyone would have about it would be greatly appreciated.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Sea King 5

That's a 1970 5 hp Sea King you have there. The engine was made by Clinton. It has a watercooled exhaust, but the engine is air-cooled.

The fuel connector is a standard Chrysler connector, so you should be able to find one at any marine parts place, including here at iboats.com. You can probably get carb kits and ignition parts at www.discount-marine-parts.com

These outboards are almost 40 years old now, and finding one that is a reliable runner isn't all that easy. They vibrate like crazy, are noisy, and generally cause more swearing than pretty much any outboard out there.

I had one just like yours. My advice is to try to get it running, then sell it as fast as you can and put the money towards an older Johnson or Evinrude.

That one should get a 16:1 fuel/oil ratio, preferably using oil designed for air-cooled two stroke engines. Starting procedure is to pump the fuel-line bulb until it gets firm. Pull the choke out all the way, and set the speed lever a little beyond the start position. Pull away at the rope. When it tries to fire, push the choke halfway in and pull again. Remember: That engine is always in forward gear, so have your boat pointed in the direction you want it to go, because once it starts (if it starts), you're on your way.

Good luck with it.