gas leak-tank removal

shayne

Recruit
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Thanks for letting me join. I have a new pickle for a
1984 Chris Craft Scorpion 210. Yesterday, as I started to de-winterize this boat, I had it on jack on starboard side to remove a wheel. Then I notice a smell of gas. So I pulled the cover off and lifted the cawling. About 1-2 quarts of gas in the bildge. Now this boat has never had a gas leak or smell of gas. I cleaned it out and it keeped coming from under the floor. Yes the 50 gallon tank in under the floor. I assume with the age, I've got me a fuel tank leak. I propose this question? What is the right way to cut into the floor and remove a gas tank from this type of boat? I can't mess around as this boat is my wife's as I have the 230 Scorpion Cuddy. I really am not looking forward to cutting into a perfectly good floor. All safety ideas will also be welcomed.
Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: gas leak-tank removal

you either cut the deck or go to portable tanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A lot of boats had covers over the fuel tanks. Sometimes they were hard to identify. Before you cut the floor, investigate and see if there is a cover, or whether you can pull it out into the bilge or something, and good luck. Start with the fuel gauge sender access point, and look it over.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1981 210 Scorpion-K.It has the non carpet deck.
It has an access hatch that covers the fuel tank.
It is in the center of the floor and has about 6 or 8 screws holding it.
If you have carpet you may be able to feel the seem thru the carpet.

Its also possible a fuel fill,vent or the fuel outlet line is leaking.
Do you have the black plastic round screw off inspection plates in the floor?
The rear one is at the fuel line and shut off valve,the front one is over the fuel sender unit.

I know are boats are similar in design and can't imagine the tank is glassed over with no access...its possible but i hope not.

Mine has a 90 gallon aluminum tank...

shayne

Recruit

Gentleman, thanks for the good advise. As I did learn a little information from your reply's. Good to know there's a shut off valve. I will keep you posted as
this weekend I will be removing the carpet and looking, with fingers crossed that there is an access panel. If not will start removing everything, engine, seats ect. and then ponder on it for a couple. Then get to work cutting the floor.