transom modification

i have found a boat at my local dealer that i want to purchase but it is set up for a long shaft motor ,my motor is a short shaft ,he said due to the fact that it is welded aluminum that it can be safely cut out and weld and it will be safe ,the boat is a 2001 polarkraft 14 feet in length and in very good condition,any info on this would be very helpfull just dont want to buy another motor if i can avoid it

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: transom modification

Welding aluminum is a skill, that many don't have. We do a fair bit at work, but I wouldn't recommend it if at all possible. It is very very easy to overheat the surrounding aluminum making it very weak.

Ian

Willyclay

Captain

Before you make the deal on this boat and cut-down the transom, you need to be aware that according to the USCG regs the maximum horsepower will be reduced from what the installed capacity plate indicates. While you may never get slammed by the authorities for overpowering the boat, it does raise a question about the safety of you, your family and friends.

Here's a link to the USCG regulations on safe powering:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/julqtr/pdf/33cfr183.53.pdf

Good luck, be safe!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what is your motor, can you convert it to long shaft?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Pressure, The difference between a 15" transom or a 20" transom on a 14' tinny is nothing. A whole lot of 14' tins had 15" transoms.

Your four choices are to cut the transom down, install a jackplate, extend the shaft length of the motor or get a longshaft motor. Depending on the motor's age and popularity, a longshaft may be avail for short $. Other than that a jackplate could be had for $80-120 or so depending on features. Cuting down the transom, will likely cost more than that, as will getting a new motor.

CATransplant

Admiral

I wouldn't cut down the transom. The boat was designed for that height of transom, and cutting it down may result in shipping water over the transom on sudden stops and other events.

You don't say what engine you have, but you may be able to convert it to a long shaft. Another option is to sell it and buy a long shaft outboard to replace it.

Whenever possible, I always think it's better to match the engine to the boat, instead of modifying the boat. Engines come and go. Boats last for decades.