Can a bayboat tow a skier?

blade4252

Cadet
i have a 1997 19ft center console promaster bay boat with a 130hp johnson, and i was wondering if i can pull a skier or a tube behind my boat? Also how could i attach a tow line that is going to be sturdy enough? my boat on plane at wide open goes 39mph with 3 ppl in it.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can a bayboat tow a skier?

Sure you can pull a tube. The skier is up to their ability. I have pulled a skier behind a 20 ft pontoon with a 25 hp motor. You can put in a ski eye on your boat or there should be places on both sides of the motor to hook a "harness" onto. The harness will then have a hook on it to hook the ski rope onto.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

no problem. Get a traveller (towing harness) b/c you have to pull from the center. The ones I like now have a red arrow-shaped gizmo for quick attach/change.
Be sure you have a look-out with eyes on the skiier at all times. He sits in the bow looking back so you make eye contact with him as he makes eye contact with the skiier.
Note: skiiers really pull your boat around. Tubes, on a plane, you won't hardly feel it, unless they submarine.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

You will be able tow either with no trouble at all.

Driving with someone hanging onto a rope off the back takes some getting used to.

Above all, let the spotter do their job and you concentrate on driving the boat safely. There's a great tempation to concentrate on the skier to see how they're doing or just have fun watching them -- especially if it's your own kid learning for the first time.

Resist it and keep your eyes on your course, look out for traffic, and be real aware that your boat now extends from the bow eye all the way back to the end of the ski rope. Meaning, you are taking up much more water surface than without a skier/tuber, etc. and you don't want any of it colliding with anything.

My dad tells the sad story of watching a neighbour fling a kid into a rock wall on a wide turn because he wasn't paying attention to what he was supposed to be doing -- driving.

Also pay attention to where your prop is and what it's doing. Never back toward a skier in the water and definitely cut your engine any time you are boarding them or even just bobbing in the water beside them discussion the next run.

Oh, yeah...and, once you're operating safely -- have fun with it, cuz it's a blast. :)

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I'd get the 12 ft cable one thats what I have and I prefer it it keeps the rope away from the motor more