cant start my engine

lindy46

Captain
Re: cant start my engine

What year motor? Does it have a pull start?

davoswindsor

Recruit

1964 it has a manual start my father bought the engine without seeing it run and we can no longer find the man we bought it off

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is there a key switch or anything? If so, turn the key to on and pull the cord. You will have to choke it first.

davoswindsor

Recruit

this is the problem no keyswitch i was hoping we could bypass it or hotwire it just to see if it runs

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is there a large red plug under the cowl that the harness would attach to? I don't know what year they started using that, but if you can find it and/or have one just unplug it, then use the pull cord. Don't forget to choke it. In order to turn it off though you will have to pull the gas line off or pull the plug wires off.

lindy46

Captain

I would think that if there is no harness attached to the motor, it should pull start ok. The harness and key (in the off position) just grounds out the points. With the harness disconnected, the two wires that go to the points don't contact each other at all. Try checking for spark at the plugs - take one out, leave the plug wire attached, and ground it to the engine. then pull the rope. You should see a spark if all is well.