newbie looking to get into boating

mgmarsh39

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone!

I have never owned a boat in my entire life, but I live in Florida on the Gulf and would love to get my very own boat. My wife and I have been talking about this for a while, but I am not really sure where to get started. We took a trip to the keys last summer and did some rentals and had a great time. We did jet skiis and small cattameran (sorry for the spelling) trips.

I have been looking on ebay etc and have found some good deals, or at least good deals to me. *again I have no boating experience at all* I have been talking with friends that have experience and they have steered me toward a 17-18ft boat with an outboard motor. I have a mazda cx-7 with 2500lbs towing, so I am pretty sure it would be able to handle a small boat.

The boat I found is a 1994 maxum 1700xr with a 100hp outboard. This is an ebay auction, but its only a couple hours away, so I could go check it out. I dont want to spend more than 3-4grand, but I also dont want to buy a POS to throw a bunch of money at.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: newbie looking to get into boating

If you want an all purpose fishing boat get a Mako17 CC. or similar.
If was cheap be ready to spend more money on repairs (just in case). If you are not handy have a few $1000 ready after the purchase.
I would look for a boat that was on trailer without bottom paint stored indoors between uses. It would be great if you could fine a well kept, one owner boat.
Lots of good deals out there.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

In all honesty the Ft Myers CL is loaded with local boats, they are gonna be more conducive to what you need. I would sign up for a Coast Guard Aux class and hold off on buying just yet. I think boats will be cheaper this summer here and it'll give you time to do some more homework, boats can be great but they can also be a lot of headaches if you rush the buy.

mgmarsh39

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info guys! capt sam, where do you suggest I look? local dealerships or keep an eye on ebay?

I will def sign up for the class.

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, before you commit to purchasing any boat, have a reputable marine surveyor do a full inspection, including a sea trial.

Second is to take a boating safety course before you start using the boat. See USPS.org for local courses in your area.

Third then enjoy your boat. :)

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Outboard boat no IO's! No bottom paint. Self bailing cockpit. Walk around cuddy cabin with a portti potty for the wife. Don't trust the seller if used, it maybe another inexperienced boater that didn't have the experience & know how to take care of the boat and motor. Minimum 18 foot and get a better tow vehicle. Go to the Gradywhite dealership and learn what a quality salt water boat is built and designed like. You don't have to buy, just take the time to look the boat over well, inside and out. Then if you want a great outboard look at Yamaha.After you buy get a SEATOW membership. Here's my background: born in Florida 53 years ago, owned (not daddy's boat) salt water boats for 35 years, and employed as a mechanic for 34 years. AGAIN DON'T TRUST THE SELLER, INCLUDING THE DEALER. Learn what top quality is first then decide what you willing to settle on.

mgmarsh39

Seaman Apprentice

great information! What do you guys think about those boat clubs? I mean I know 0 about this entire sport and I just want to go out there and have a litle fun. Maybe even a daily rental... I feel like I spend 3grand on a boat then I have to pump another 3 grand in it just to keep it running.

capt sam

If you're really rich and don't mind tossing money they're probably great. Check the ft myer's Craig's List, I saw probably 10 boats on there today that would be great first boats. Keep it simple and basic and under 18'-20' till you get good at boat handling.

capt sam

thanks for the info guys! capt sam, where do you suggest I look? local dealerships or keep an eye on ebay?

I will def sign up for the class.

I can recommend San Carlos Marine in Ft Myers, very good people.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with the previous post of having a marine surveyor look at the boat. Get references on the surveyor and make sure they are Florida/salt water boat experienced and certified. Make sure they do a compression check on the engine, gear lube sample, etc. Find out if the engine has had any repair work done on it and why. If the boat has an aluminum tank have it checked for internal corrosion from water settled on the bottom. This could be expensive to replace later on and is fire hazard if it starts leaking into the bilge. Make sure the transom has not gotten soft. Get a signed copy of the report they stand behind and are willing to be sued over. I have found complete clowns calling themselves marine surveyors so protect yourself even though they are supposed to be working for you. The cost of the survey should be a par with the purchase price of the boat. Good luck and get ready for the weekend drunk warriors that have destroyed Florida boating and fishing.

capt sam

lol, dontask is like an angry version of me.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

focus on the motor if you are buying used ("buy a motor and they throw in a boat and trailer'). If the motor is >10 years old budget to replace it. But a simple CC hull can't be so bad; it's the added stuff like electronics that cause the problems. My theory on small boats (13-17') and salt water is bilge pump and lights, that's it. All that other stuff will just give you problems.

Boat clubs look interesting. You seldom use a boat as much as you think you will and you spend 5 hours working on them for every hour riding--or at least it seems that way! Thsi is espcially true if you want to get a nice boat in good shapre, well maintained. They'll cost you. Price out your storage, taxes adn insurance, too.
People here tend to be heavy boat users. Talk to your friends with similar life style and see how much they use theirs--once a month? For example, if you have babies, work all week, have other weekend commitments (sports, golf) you won't be going out much. (Let me add OTOH you have more boatnig days than we do on the mid-Atlantic)

mgmarsh39

Seaman Apprentice

No kids yet, so we have alot of free time :). btw I am from Roanoke, VA cant say I miss the snow hehe.

My thing is, if I get a small boat will it fit in my garage... if not where can I keep it. Seems like storage would be really expensive. I am a decently handy guy, I mean I feel like I know my way around a wrench. I usually have a small project car to work on, but I figured I could spend the money on a boat so my wife can have fun too.

So a boat surveyer would cost just as much as the boat? I mean it seems pretty straight forward as far as mechanics and since the motor is outboard would that be an easy swap if it went bad?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I think you've gotten good advice here, I'd add to it there is really no such thing as getting into boating on the cheap....any cheap boat likely will have a rotted structure and a motor that could be on its last legs and for sure, fixing things like that will turn you off to boating. I had to do a stringer repair and deck replacement on my 88 Four Winns and trust me it was not fun. The mechanicals have held out this long and I've been lucky. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the very newest boat I could afford, in your case designed for salt water, that means not a lake boat with an IO but a true salt water boat (Grady, Whaler, Key West, etc). You would be better off saving for something no more than 3-5 years old (remember salt water never sleeps) than buying a cheap boat that will need so much work you give up on boating. If you are not convinced to a search on my user name and look at pix of my deck replacement. Or any of the other ones in the Restoration forum.
Old boats have a mostly wood frame, and wood when exposed to rain water will rot. Especially any open boat with plywood decks covered with carpet. The worst possible constuction for an open boat. Mine were done with non skid gelcoat and I got rid of all the carpet except on the gunnels. Carpet holds moisture and the unsealed holes in the wood cause rot, it's that simple.

mgmarsh39

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Lou. I think I am going to hold off... Seems like I would be biting off more than I can chew with this boat thing.

hubcity2

Recruit

I two was a newbie. I found a good used bass boat and am enjoying it.
I feel I need to advise you that B.O.A.T = break out another thousand