thanks, super seahorse finally running (flywheel )

actionjackson

Seaman Apprentice
'62 rk 24 40 hp, man that flywheel was in there, ended up breaking a bolt in the flywheel, luckily got it out, and continued. I used a sleeve on each bolt the 2nd time around to snug the puller to prevent side twist, worked great and after using an air gun and a tap air gun and a tap it finally broke loose. points, condensors, coils and wires installed and spit and sputter and it started. now to start other checks on driveline, thanks BIG TIME to the helpers here on iboats johnson forum.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: thanks, super seahorse finally running (flywheel )

Good to hear you finally got it off. I used a method I learned from an old school mechanic at work dealing with stuck bolts and piping in a processing plant. He was not one to put more power into it, he would put pessure on with the wrench and then would use a hammer to tap on the fitting or wrench to get it to break loose. So now when I pull a flywheel, I put on the breaker bar, put a fair amount of pressure on it, then tap the top above the socket with a hammer. I remembered that on my 40hp (about same vintage as yours) after I was giving myself a hernia trying to get it off. I then used half the pressure it it popped off in 45 seconds of tapping.