Research at the boat launch 4/26/09

skargo

Banned
My wife and I have been doing the Baltimore/Harford/Cecil county boat ramp tour the past month or so, in anticipation of splashing our new to us Wellcraft.

We went out on the circuit today, and today was GREAT! :D

Experience 1

First ramp was at a place called Dundee Creek. We watched a few drama free launches. We watched a butthead or 2 but everything was fairly smooth until we saw a conversion van pulling a 21' open CC. As a line developed, we started taking mental notes. It appeared an older gentleman was going to back it down, as he tried, and got it sideways a couple time, a lady I am assuming was his wife was laughing and telling us he just got out of a nursing home. He then almost ran her down. I started talking to him, loudly, to WHOA. The lady then goes and decided to back it in. Another gent who I am assuming is the son was holding the lines.
Just then, my wife starts freaking out saying the old guy has fallen. I grab the boats likes so the son can go over and help. They help him to the pier, where I have pulled the boat off the trailer, poor guy has a cast on his foot, and blood running down his arm. I have the son get in first, then help get the dad in the boat. The wife comes back from parking the van with some stuff and their dog. Turns out the dog had a stroke in January and had trouble getting in the boat, and took off as they were all abord. I grabbed him at the end of the pier and brought him back.
Last I saw they were idling out with the old guy at the helm. I got the feeling this might have been one of his last outings if you know what I mean.

We left, got in the truck and about cried with laughter. Pulling ourselves together, we decided to head over to Mariner Point Park. This brings us to;

Experience 2

We are sitting at the end of the pier, watching the traffic come and go. Mostly no incidents except for a couple people using the retrieval ramps for launching and vice versa. Same thing at the other ramp BTW. There are 2 launch ramps on the outsides, the middle 2 are for retrieving. One guy goes to launch, and floods his motor. He probably was in the ramp for an hour. :rolleyes:
Anyway, I see this well used little Bayliner 16' come backing down the ramp, and I nudge my wife, telling her it appears we have our first forgotten plug experience. Yep, guy backs it in, my wife goes up and asks him if he has a plug in it. He says no. Turns out this is his 2nd time out, he just got his safe boating certificate. I ask him about the plug, he proceeds to ask ME what the plug is for. I gave him a quick rundown, and he seemed to get it. He said they took it out last week for a while. I asked him if his bilge pump was running, he stated it was broken and he had to bail by hand. He thought that was the way it was supposed to be?!?!?!?!:eek:
Back to the launch, he still wants to put her in, sans plug because he has a pier to tie up to at his house nearby. I tried to reason with him to no avail. As they tried to launch, I said might as well throw me that bow line so it don't float away. I asked him twice if he had straps on his transom, he said no. So after watching him and his frined try and muscle the boat off the trailer, another boater who was patiently waiting to retrieve and I talked him into pulling the boat out, as it came up I saw the straps, IT WAS STILL STRAPPED ONTO THE TRAILER.
The other boater saw no plug and about had a heart attack. He gave them his spare, and after all the water came out, they tried again, got it launched and the guy is asking me what to do, I kept telling him to put his OB down, he does barely, and starts it. Smoke everywhere, I start yelling PUT IT ALL THE WAY DOWN! He does. The boat shifted hard into gear, and he almost plowed into another boat docked at the pier, he seemed to struggle with his steering a lot.

A DNR cop watched the whole thing, then climbed from his truck with his binocs and watched the guy go out the channel.

I hope everyone made it :eek:

If you've read this far I apologize for my rambling story telling, my main point is to any newbies, hit the ramps, you will learn a lot.
After our day was over, my wife looked at me and said we will have no issues, she is not nervous anymore :D

TWFisher

Seaman
Re: Reasearch at the boat launch 4/26/09

Good post!

Boat ramps are a trip!!

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep, absolutely, ramp watching should be a required class for all newbies.

I won't be getting our boat out of storage until May 1st, but decided to spend an hour at a popular ramp on a nice sunny Friday, April 17th, as a refresher.

Everyone was doing fine until a guy in a fwd SUV backs down with what appeared to be a 18 foot open bow w/Merc Cruiser. Just before hitting the water he stops to give the retrieval lines to his wife. Then he gets in and backs the boat into the water so the tops of the fenders are just showing. So far, so good I'm thinking.

I'm in a parking area across the channel, so I can't see the front of the boat or the winch. Anyway, he does something with the winch, then starts pushing on the bow. Push, push, push. Wife says something. Then he backs the vehicle in a little deeper. More pushing. Then he backs it in so the exhaust is under water, takes off his shoes and rolls up his jeans. He wades into the water (49 degree water temp) and pushes some more. No luck. He walks around the bow and I can see that the water has gone all the way up to his crotch. Someone nearby comes over, talks a little, does something to the winch and walks away. Boat floats off and wife takes control of the lines. He pulls vehicle out, parks it and walks down to the boat in his sopping wet jeans.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the problem was he forgot to undo the safety chain on the bow.

skargo

Banned

Man!

I also saw a guy powerload his jet ski into the back of his ford f150. That truck is going to be one rust bucket.

Oh yeah, from my experience 2 above, he also wasn't sure how to reverse his winch, I showed him the trick to that too. I referred him here, I told him to search for everything he didn't know about and he'd find it.
This place rocks!

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

actually that's not a bad idea, you see things from a different perspective, what not to do, the right way to do it, just remember doing is always harder than watching.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Since we have no trailer, I realize that I would be a laugh riot at a ramp. So that being said, we live across from a public ramp, have 12 power binoculars, and have a ball watching the real good launches, along with the "ya gotta be kidding me" types.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yeah, I bagged my first one (launch ramp fiasco) of the season yesterday :D

I was heading in from a night of fishing and waiting for the ramp to clear. The last truck/boat I was waiting to clear, lined up to launch and then stopped 10' from the water. They proceeded to unbutton the boat, load all of their gear into the boat, check this and that for a good 20 minutes,,, while I mumbled to myself "ever heard of the ready lane?" Not knowing how long the show was going to last I headed in, tied up and retrieved my boat. When I parked I saw their truck, parked with the trailer at a 45* angle blocking the the spot next to them... How the ell did they do that, these are pull-through parking spaces??? While I was loading my gear I could hear the better 1/2 yelling and complaining as they headed out of the marina :rolleyes:

I hope their day got better...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

"Experience #1" reminds me of an old joke about a dog. Its seems the poor fella was blind in one eye from a fight with another dog, was missing a front leg from being hit by a car, had an ear ripped off by a bobcat, and suffered a "traumatic neutering," after a cow in a pasture became cranky and bit him.

The dog answered to the name of "Lucky."

Shizzy

Ensign

there is still 11 more days till fishing opener, so no stories yet this year.....

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

best one yet was this one family who had a 23' bayliner. they backed their new suv down the ramp and into the water (after probably 7 or 8 trys) and they proceed to back down untill there FRONT WHEELS are halfway under water!

the guy steps out into the water with shoes and all and goes back to the trailer. the water is probably up to his crotch. and waits for them to bring the boat on.

they drive the boat on and hook it up but its still floating around freely as the trailer is so deep its not even touching the bunks.!

they back off and the guy gets back into his truck, and BACKS DOWN FURTHER INTO THE WATER!! im suprised the engine kept running

then they have probably 3 people trying to direct the guy onto the trailer
(which is completly submerged, as well as pretty much the whole truck) and they repeat the process again.

they try probable 6 or 7 more times and finally, when i stop laughing and wipe my tears off my face, haha, i go up to the ramp and tell the guy what to do.

was priceless. i wouldnt want to be the guy to buy that truck after. lol

TBarCYa

I've seen a couple at the ramp I started using this year. It's a tough ramp because there's 12' bulkheads on both sides with ladders but nowhere to tie up until you back the boat away from the ramp and to the floating dock. It's not far but it makes it interesting trying to launch or retrieve alone.

Anyhow, one guy pulls a small boat in and ties up to the ladder (there are no cleats on the bulkhead) then I'm assuming climbed up the ladder to get his trailer. In the meantime, I pull in and notice that his boat is floating loose around the marina and grab the boat hook to direct it where it needs to go. Turns out the clip (the end of a dog leash) broke and let the boat float loose. Once he got it on the trailer, he pulls to the top of the ramp and sits (while I'm waiting to retrieve) while the water empties from the boat and he unloads his fishing gear.

On Sunday, I pulled up to the ramp and there was a really nice Donzi CC floating at the ramp. I walked up and there was a guy at the helm holding on to the ladder and trying to start the engine at the same time since it was already off the trailer. He got it started and was backing out as the other people with him unload the fishing gear from the truck while the truck is on the ramp.

I back down the ramp with the winch attached, lower the drive, start the engine disconnect the winch back out to the dock, walk up thru the gate get in my truck and park the truck then head back to the gate to get in my boat and his the owner of the Donzi and his party are standing in front of the gate blocking it chatting with someone about the St Pauly Girl being at his bar. I know powering off the trailer is taboo around here but even at low tide there is plenty of concrete that it's not washing the silt from the end of the ramp and there's really no better way to do it. That, was my first launch of the day.

In the afternoon I pulled the boat out to get gas (it's $1/gallon more on the water) and when I get back there's an older boat in line to launch. The guy on the ramp pulls his truck out and the 3 guys in the older boat start unhooking the straps. Two guys on board, the one that is to drive the truck unhooks the safety chain and the winch but I notice that it's a roller trailer so I suggest that he keep the winch attached because the ramp is steep otherwise he will drop the boat on the ramp. He does and they start backing in and I notice that the bottom of the outboard is about 1" from the concrete so I tell him to stop so they can trim it up. It's manual trim so I go to the boat to lift it and it's stuck. They carefully back it in and I offer to unhook the winch and they start the engine. In order to unhook the winch, I had to crank it out quickly while trying to unhook because the boat was rolling off the trailer as I tried to unhook it. It's a damned good thing they listened about keeping the winch hooked because otherwise I'd probably still be waiting for them to get that thing in (or out) if they had dropped it on the ramp.

There's probably half a dozen more from just this weekend alone.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

There's always plenty of entertainment at the ramps !!!!

Nandy

Commander

Worst I saw this weekend was a guy that backed up in one of the 4 ramps to work in his boat while there are people in line waiting to retrieve/launch their boat in a pack full busy public ramp. I mean busy, even the overflow parking was full....

capped

Cadet

I seen a pretty good one about 2 weeks ago. My wife and I were on our way to to the ramp to load up for the day and we see boats just drifting about near the launch. So we figured everything was backed up and just waited out turn. Once we finally get to the dock we see the problem. Three guys were trying to load some big boxy looking boat but none of the were inside of it. One guy is in the water up to his waist (water was about 49 degrees that day) and the other two guys were on the dock each with about a 2 foot branch in their hand.. The wind was kinda bad and they were trying to guide the boat on with fallen branches while another guy was in the water waist deep. Only good thing about this was it gave my wife alot of confidence in our abilities with launch/retireval. It gave us a good laugh on the way home too!!!

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

I love watching people at the ramps. The people that really get me are the people with all this money, and no common sense. Case in point:
One of the boat ramps I use has two double ramps. On this particular Saturday about 7 weeks ago, one of the double ramps was closed for repairs. The line in this place was incredible, 45 minute wait to launch or retrieve. Well, we had a system going: pull trucks up one spot, bs for about 5 mins, get back in our trucks, pull up one more spot, and so on. This guy in a brand new Sequoia (probably $50K?) towing a brand new Sea Ray 270 Sundancer ($100K?) cuts in front of about four waiting people, flies down the ramp, and with one half of the ramp taken up proceeds to remove the boat cover, load coolers into the boat, examine new scratch on rear truck bumper, etc. He left his truck and boat in that slot for a good 30 minutes, after cutting people off!!
I just can't believe the lack of decency some people have. I really can't believe that the second guy he cut off waited until that guy left the dock, and put one huge scratch down the side of that Sequoia with his truck keys.
Maybe that will teach him some manners, but probably not. .

45Auto

Commander

Was everyone so intimidated by the price of his toys they were afraid to tell him to get in line ?????:confused:

He pulled that around here there'd be 4 or 5 rednecks stuffing him back in his truck and showing him where the back of the line was.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Well, we had a pretty calm crowd that day. I have seen fights at the boat ramp over nothing. I was not in much of a hurry that day, why rush and ruin my day? I just went out to relax, and I kind of like just sitting around and watching how other people respond. That scratch was real deep, and probably made the guy realize he ticked someone off.

wajajaja02

the line jumper should have been confronted, but the vandal should have been reported to the police, he is the sort that will steal your gps, vhf or what ever from you too.

wanttofly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Haven't noticed any odd behaviors at my ramp. Maybe it's just me everyone is laughing at.:eek: Guess one of the good thing of living in Cody, WY, never have had to wait for more than one person yet.

45Auto

Commander

The line in this place was incredible, 45 minute wait to launch or retrieve. Well, we had a system going: pull trucks up one spot, bs for about 5 mins, get back in our trucks, pull up one more spot, and so on. This guy in a brand new Sequoia (probably $50K?) towing a brand new Sea Ray 270 Sundancer ($100K?) cuts in front of about four waiting people, flies down the ramp, and with one half of the ramp taken up proceeds to remove the boat cover, load coolers into the boat, examine new scratch on rear truck bumper, etc. He left his truck and boat in that slot for a good 30 minutes, after cutting people off!!

Sorry statement on the current US culture when NONE of the 4 people had the cojones to tell the guy he was cutting the line. He probably wasn't aware of what he did.

I really can't believe that the second guy he cut off waited until that guy left the dock, and put one huge scratch down the side of that Sequoia with his truck keys.
Maybe that will teach him some manners, but probably not.

On top of not even politely asking him if he was aware that there was a line to launch, after he's gone one of them bravely gouges his truck!!! Nice bunch of boaters down there. If I was him, I would have a hard time NOT returning the favor to everyone else parked there when I got back to the ramp and saw the scratch, especially since he probably has no idea what he did ....

I've found that everyone I've pointed out the waiting line and prep lanes to has just been newer boaters or boaters unfamiliar with the ramp who were happy to go along once they understood the system.