Stringer help please w/Pictures

dkski

Seaman Apprentice
I have my first boat (15' Galaxy Trihull) project and everywhere I turn I seem to get more confused. I have removed my rotten stringers and transom. My first question is I have began sanding (many filthy hours) to level the old grooves the stringers were in. On the outer edges it looks to be impossible to get it level with the floor since they were so deep. I am reading that I should try and level it best I can for a good tight bond with the new glass. Hope the pics help with my problem.

1. Can I re-use the existing grooves if I sand and clean them as best I can?
2. Do I have to use a compound to lift them off the hull

Thanks in advance....Dave

Attachments

• P1030188.JPG
    P1030188.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030191.JPG
    P1030191.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030259.JPG
    P1030259.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030262.JPG
    P1030262.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dkski

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Stringer help please w/Pictures

Wow...I must have a rare case on my hands....no posts at all. Better call the local boat dealer!!

Jeep Man

Commander

You might have better luck if you repost in the restoration section. I was at the same stage with my old Crestliner, but found a lot of floor rot between the fibreglas, and had to scrap it. In your case, I would use epoxy to hold the new stringers into the grooves and fibreglas over them. Remember, this is just an opinion.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You are well on the way. It need not be perfect. Use a grinder for the rest and make sure you are wearing a good face mask. The grinder will make quick work with what remains.