1952 Evinrude 3 HP Oil Mixture

DinghyJohn

Cadet
Re: 1952 Evinrude 3 HP Oil Mixture

In my Outboard Service Manual for the 55 model it says 1/2 pint per gallon for Lightwin and Ducktwin. My opinion is that with new modern oils you could probably get away with a little less per gallon. My 55 Saber Supreme by Gale uses 1/3 pint per gallon.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It is a common misconception that due to "better" oils you can lean the mixture. Dont do it, run it on the 16:1.

Because of the improved oil, you will smoke less, and not foul plugs like the old days. The motor is designed to run with a certain amount of oil in the fuel though. Without it, you dont have the lubricity that you require, AND you dont get the sealing properties that you would with a richer mix. The motors dont run as well, nor idle as well in certain situations with a leaner mix. The oil does more than just lubricate.

Run them on what they were designed to run on. Just my 2 cents. They arent making any more you know.

nwcove

Admiral

stick with 16:1. ......going with 20:1 maybe ok, but it is 20% less oil than recommended!. ( powerheads are getting hard to come by....why not preserve them?) jmo

nwcove

Admiral

ooopppps ! didnt realize this thread was 3 yrs old......poor lil motor is probably a lower control arm on a honda civic by now!:eek:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

ooopppps ! didnt realize this thread was 3 yrs old......poor lil motor is probably a lower control arm on a honda civic by now!:eek:

LOL didnt notice that either! I often wonder why guys comment on threads that are so old?

nwcove

Admiral

LOL didnt notice that either! I often wonder why guys comment on threads that are so old?

lol Chris, i see that we both replied at the same same time, with basically the same advice. hopefully, if anyone uses the "search" function for the same question,and this thread comes up, they will take the advice, and keep another classic on the water!!

DinghyJohn

Cadet

I plead innocent by reason of insanity! However, in my haze didn't realize the thread was so old that it didn't matter any more. Sorry.
kind regards,

Old Mud

Cadet
Oh my good man but it absolutely does matter !! i use them all the time.

Yeah i know this is over a year but Thanks for the info. Quite helpful.

Don