175 Evinrude Overheating

FishBone72

Recruit
1972 Robalo 19' CC w/ 1983 Evinrude 175

2 weeks ago I took a trip to Hilton Head and after a long day of 3'-4' swells and 20 mph winds I was cruising back through a long stretch of no wake zone and I believe my motor overheated. I smelled something like burnt hair and looked back and saw more than the usual amount of smoke. I immeadiately turned the motor off and trolled back to the boat ramp on the minn kota (which took about an hour). I figured the motor should be cooled off by then so I started her up and everything seemed ok.

The next day I cruised through the bay for a little while at around 25mph no problem. After about an hour the motor choked out and was difficult to start again. Once I got it going she would only run 10mph at full throttle all the way back to the ramp.

Once I got home I hooked the motor up to the hose and started it up. It sounds like its running pretty crappy so I do a compression check.

Heres what I got:
1) 55 1) 87
2) 92 2) 95
3) 95 3) 90

Any ideas as to what could have caused it to overheat?

Im not really sure where to go from here, but im afraid I may be looking at a rebuild / repower situation.:confused:

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 175 Evinrude Overheating

Could just be a headgasket situation. or a stuck ring,,prolly not.
I'd pop the head and look see.

Causes of overheat?
what is the service history?
Waterpump old?
Could also be water deflectors in the head, bad t/statm , clogged carb.

FishBone72

Recruit

Im not sure what caused the motor to overheat, i was just chuggin along in a no wake zone when it happened. I had a new water pump and seal kit put in June '08.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Would be interesting to see what the inside of the thermostat housing looks like on the low compression head. I'd also pull the intake side cover on #1 and see what the piston and rings look like from the side. Did you have any water coming out of the telltale during all this?

FishBone72

Recruit

As far as i know it was peeing. The thermostats have been removed so i dont know if that had anything to do with the overheating.

FishBone72

Recruit

Heres the plug from the bad (55psi) cyliner
PLUG1.jpg

PLUG2.jpg

PLUG3.jpg

This is the outside of the plug from the #1 cylinder on the opposite side
PLUG4.jpg