How do I Remove Shaft 85hp 4cyl??

Hotfoot

Cadet
I am a Metal Artist, and was given a junked 85 hp, 4 cyl Two stroke Mercury outboard, whose parts are destined for many different art projects. It all disassembled, but for this pesky Lower Unit. How do I remove the drive shaft? (both shaft, actually) It has loose, 1/4" "up/down" play, but I cannot figure what's holding it in there?

344wo08.jpg

I had the brainstorm that the threaded piece surrounding the output (prop) shaft was holding that in, but it was froze up (corroded threads), so I cut the parts out that threaded in...I am stumped!:confused:

fnfebp.jpg

Its the housing I am after, but the shafts have to come out (for weight).

emckelvy

Commander
Re: How do I Remove Shaft 85hp 4cyl??

The propshaft and what remains of the bearing carrier will pull right out. But it's been in there for a long time and you'll need to 'shock' it or use a slide hammer on the propshaft. If you can find the proper size fine-threaded nut for the end of the propshaft, you can use that as a pulling point. Some heat applied to the outside of the gearcase with a propane or MAPP torch may help with the process.

Once the propshaft and bearing carrier are removed, you'll be able to get at the pinion gear nut at the end of the driveshaft. This is what holds the driveshaft into the lower end. Both the driveshaft end and the pinion gear are tapered where they contact each other. This fit sometimes takes some force to release it.

Most times, if you put a stout hunk of wood on the top of the gearcase, hang onto the driveshaft and give a few good raps on the wood with a 5-lb hammer or sledge, it'll bust the driveshaft loose. Better yet, if you have a vice, clamp the driveshaft and have at it.

If the driveshaft is stubborn, heat up the pinion gear with a torch and that'll help.

HTH & post some pictures of your finished product, I'm sure we'll all be inspired by the "Mercury Art" !

Cheers..........ed

Hotfoot

Cadet
Re: How do I Remove Shaft 85hp 4cyl??

That did it, EMCKLEIVY! I had tried before heating that housing and whapping the shaft out before, but, because I had not a clue what I was doing/not doing, I did not pursue it with enough Vigor. This time it walked/wiggled right out. I never would have gotten the threads to cooperate, so cutting the four ribs was the ticket in this case (reciprocating saw did it with ease).

I'll also throw a pitch in for my cheapie (I think it was $14.00 on sale some years back) Harbor Freight 3/8" air ratchet, while I seldom use, but it was just the ticket for that pinion shaft bolt..one Zip got it!

That lower housing will be cut in two, and with the skeg pointing up, will be the "Command Module" for my "1940's era Spaceship", which will be in the "Buck Rogers/ Capt. Nemo" design motif. I am making it from a 250 pound (practice) bomb, a couple Harley mufflers, an, as is usual for my work, anything and everything I find laying around.

This is it in its beginning stage..:)

2lw0lfn.jpg