wood flooring

rjayy

Cadet
im restoring a 1977 galaxy 19 foot open bow and tore out the carpet to get to the wood flooring that about 3/4 inch , now , it doesnt look terrible not enough damage to tare out just some surface damage , my idea would be to get some roofing nails to reinforce ,and than get a gal wood sealer and bonding agent . my question is it a good idea to use these nail and whats it nailing to under wood? hoping the nails will not just pop out later due to vibration ,? maybe i should jus seal it ? thank you for your time and help

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer
Re: wood flooring

That doesn't sound like the best route to go. If there is surface damage, then most likely there is unseen damage. The only way to know it's true condition is to get core sample. I suggest finding her true condition before making any decisions. The best way to seal your deck is to glass it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

READ READ READ everything you can about deck replacement.

Roofing nails have no place on a boat :eek:

cbavier

Lieutenant

Roofing Nails will rust out. Like stated they don't belong on a boat. Decking screws work much better and they can easily be removed at a later time if necessary .

rjayy

Cadet

thank you your right , roofing nails dont belong on boat , after getting into the deck more , i found out it was repaired/replaced befor , its just the wood is taking a little weather beating , i bought some exterior primer sealer / bond coat by zinsser http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=11 , im going to post some pictures asap to get help on restoration , thank you all