1996 johnson 115 bogs down after a few mins of running wot

can anyone help, for the past two weekends, my johnson 115 1996, has been bogging down after running it for a few mins....at first I put the boat in the water, crank it and go, it runs great, then after about 10 mins or so it starts bogging down, I stop then it doesnt want to get on a plane anymore, the only thing I have noticed that helps is the choke, If I hold in the choke it will start running better, not perfect, but better and it will get on a plane. I took the pump apart and looked at the diaphram it looks fine, checked the fuel water sep, no water in it....tomorrow i'm going to take a 6 gal tank and hook it directly to the engine and run it, maybe that will help....but i'm trying to find out if anyone else has any ideas.....

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 johnson 115 bogs down after a few mins of running wot

You can also pull the spark plugs and check the burn on each and do a compression check at the same time.

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This would also be a good time to check for spark at all four cylinders as well.

thanks, i'll do that too, I dont have a manual, whats a good compression to look for?

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anywhere from 95-110 is normal and that depends on the gauge as they all very. There should be no more than 15 psi difference between the highest to lowest reading. Hope this helps.

alright, just got back from another run, btw the cylinder press is good ranges from 110 to 113, but I tried the separate tank and it does the same thing so, now i'm going to get a carb kit for it and rebuild the carb.....hope this does the trick

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a note, you will need four carb kits and a seloc manual would be a good idea and info will make the job easier. Good luck.

btw are there any differences in the carbs in 1989 and the 1996 115 v4 models?

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Completely different carbs and engine set-up.

i went and got the carb kits, and it was the wrong type, I got the four kits and I have the 90 degree engine with two two barrel carbs on it. so i just needed two kits, took one carb apart and in the bottom of the bowl was a little bit of trash, as well as some goop i had to scrape out of the bottom, used some carb cleaner and sprayed out all the jets and orifaces, carb looks new now, got one more to go tomorrow then i'll put it in the water sunday and see how it goes, hope that little bit of trash was my problem....should have taken a pic of the trash, i'll try to remember tomorrow to bring my camera with me...

cleaned the carbs and installed them back today, got it on the water, and the same thing with the wot, runs great for about 15 seconds then dies back down while on the main tank, hooked up the portable tank, and it didn't do it, so I'm going towards the anti-siphon valve, do I need this valve, it seems more trouble than it's worth really, If I have my primer bubble, I shouldnt have a problem with reverse drainage into the tank, and the tank is well below where the motor is so, no siphonage should occur...