no water out of any hole

porkchop3292

Cadet
Good Day everyone
I have a 1975 Johnson 70 Horse power Sea Horse Model #70ESL75E i see in your forms that they speak about water coming out the pee hole. I do not know where to look for this on this motor. I have run it on the lake and seen no water coming out any hole but did see it coming up around bottom of motor i am still learning all this is new to me . :)

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: no water out of any hole

Not all engines have the pee hole, it is generally on the drivers side of the engine so you can see it when driving the boat so if there isn't a small hole on the starboard(right)side of the engine in back you don't have one.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The telltale first appeared in 1978. On your engine-hold your hand behind the two exhaust relief ports below the back lower cowl. When the thermostat opens, a fine water mist will start to coat the palm of your hand. It may take a minute or so. That's normal.

porkchop3292

Cadet

yes i have seen that. I have the motor torn down at this time to replace impeller. I still don't know where that water could be coming from around the bottom of motor. I did find that a grommet at the top of the water pipe was bridle and fell apart when i tried to remove it. I was also getting exhausts in the engine compartment so while i had it down was going to replacing seals and gaskets in this lower units

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a "powerhead to exhaust" gasket... It's right between the powerhead and the midsection... Sounds to me like it's gone bad... Kinda a pain to replace cause you have to lift the powerhead off, but you need to replace that water grommet anyway!!! When it comes to the cooling portion of the engine, always make sure it's done right and double check everything... An overheated engine can cause a lot of damage that really is a BIG pain to fix... ;)

porkchop3292

Cadet

that's OK i have the power head off already and i have everything wash scraped and cleaned and will set down tonight or tomorrow to start ordering parts for this motor. Only thing hard that i have left to do is to get some broke bolts out.

porkchop3292

Cadet

i was going to a parts store that is in Tampa Florida close to me so if i get something wrong I can do a trip over and do some pier fish to clear the hard work stress out . Will not tell wife about the fishing but will tell her that i just got to go to Tampa to exchange parts. That sounds good didn't it i would believe that.