High Performance Gear Lube?

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a Tahoe with a 4.3L Mercruiser and when checking fluids today I noticed that one of the resivoirs were low. When you take off the engine cover, it is the clear reservoir that is on the lower right side of the engine when looking at it from inside the boat. It says drive oil on it. I went to my local Mercury shop and told them the compartment that was low and they gave me a quart of Mercury High Performance Gear Lube +. Is this the right oil to put in this reservior?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: High Performance Gear Lube?

1. All 4.3L engines and drives are not the same. They change year by year.
2. What color is the lube in the reservoir now? The HP is what it should have, but who knows what is actully in it. You don't want to mix oil types.

gjcombs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The HP is what it should have, but who knows what is actully in it. You don't want to mix oil types.

Knowing that we don't want to mix oil types, is it okay drain the old oil and replace it with the HP? There will still be a little bit of the old oil left in there.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

my dealer told me drain and replace ,good to go.

Philster

Captain

Drain and replace with High Performance Gear Oil.

Mixing a quart or two among other different quarts is not advised. If the old stuff isn't HP and there is just a trace after draining, you are fine if you add the full am't of HP Gear Oil. No one expects you to get inside the drive and lick the gears clean. It's not healthy anyway.

NOTE: You fill from the BOTTOM hole until oil comes out the TOP hole. :eek:

AIN'T BOATING FUN? :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

No one expects you to get inside the drive and lick the gears clean. It's not healthy anyway.
Man, I wish somebody had told me that 25 years ago . . . blechhhh.