Warmer one side.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Fired her up on muffs for the first time this season. Ran for around 10 minutes (idle) Started first turn as it usually does. Port side cylinder head running hotter than starboard side, starboard side actually stayed cool to the touch. I could keep my hand on it as long as I wanted to. Port side about 5 seconds before it became a little uncomfortable.
Trouble is !!!!! my ex neighbor had a V4 90hp and as my son NOW tells me borrowed both my manual and temp gun last November while I was at work. Problem is he moved to Calgary at the beginning of December !!! He also "borrowed" my flywheel puller and one of my socket sets !!!!
I have not had the need for any of them over the winter and have just found out today !!! Just wondering what else he "borrowed" from me. Motors I have done over the last couple of weeks have been fine with the "hand test" and no flywheel removal.
Anyway enough of that. Tools can be replaced. Any thoughts on the apparently normal port side and the cold starboard side ????
Couple of photos to look at as I know we all love photos !!!

Attachments

• hot side photos 003.jpg
    hot side photos 003.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • hot side photos 001.jpg
    hot side photos 001.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
  • hot side photos 002.jpg
    hot side photos 002.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Warmer one side.

Few more photos.
The smaller hose going to the tell tale has nothing flowing from it either.

Attachments

• hot side photos 004.jpg
    hot side photos 004.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • hot side photos 005.jpg
    hot side photos 005.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • hot side photos 006.jpg
    hot side photos 006.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0

CED8ED

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure I understand totally. If you're getting nothing out the telltale then I'd be thinking maybe its time for a new impeller. Maybe a blockage somewhere? Try blowing compressed air through the telltale hose. If its just one side hotter than the other see my post from yesterday... same engine, same problem. Thermostats needed replacing.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Larger hose on the tell tale is pouring water out. The smaller one is not. Stats are 2 seasons old. Not ruling that out but it does seem a little soon with the amount of use over the 2 seasons.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

I was testing the temp after changing my impeller and thermostats on my 2000 90 HP Looper and the same thing was going on. The heads were not too hot but the port side was hotter then the starboard side. Temp readings on the temp gun were 90-100* on the Starboard and 120-135* on the port. The port side is the side where my temp gauge is on the dash so it peaked my interest. I took the t-stats back out checked for any water restriction and ran some water through the system through the flush hole on the hose, all flowed well, no restrictions. I replaced the t-stats and fired her back up. The issue was now reverse the starboard side cooler than port. I then let it run for about 10-15 minutes checking the temps with the gun. It seemed to switch back and forth between the two when using the gun. All seemed pretty normal and not too hot. I have to wait to take her to the lake for the first time this year running under load to get a good perspective.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the info. I have never tested head temps on the hose before. I usually give a short run and check them then so this is new to me !!!
I will most likely do the same thing as soon as the weather improves a little.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

By the way, how is the tell tale stream on yours ?? Mine has never really blasted it out and is more of a trickle at idle. Never had overheating issues and head temps have always been good. I heard that the loopers are a little weaker due to the bore size of the tell tale.

CED8ED

Seaman Apprentice

Its a solid stream at idle, no dribbling

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You're comparing a crossflow to a looper and they are not at all comparable.

The thermostat seats are problematic on the loopers, and the small hole at the cover and gasket must be clear for the thermostat system to work properly. Be sure to clean and check the thermostat housing while you have the covers off.

If you want to try to monitor the water pressure, "Tee" in a BRP 30PSI water pressure gauge.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You're comparing a crossflow to a looper and they are not at all comparable.

The thermostat seats are problematic on the loopers, and the small hole at the cover and gasket must be clear for the thermostat system to work properly. Be sure to clean and check the thermostat housing while you have the covers off.

If you want to try to monitor the water pressure, "Tee" in a BRP 30PSI water pressure gauge.

Well I am going into the stats today to see what is going on. Let you know what I find.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Warmer one side. Todays Findings

Re: Warmer one side. Todays Findings

Well I checked the stats out today and found that the valve seat (item #49 on the parts list of the 1985 Johnson 140hp cylinder and crankcase) on the starboard side was not seated correctly. Replaced, checked flow through everything while it was apart and muff tested again. Both banks now have even (ish) temperature going only by the hand on the head test.
Tell tale is still a little lethargic but plenty of water coming through the exhaust. Going to do the impeller next just in case. However the tell tale flow is the same as it has been since I got this motor. (better safe than sorry)
Warm water coming from hose #24 and cold from #10
Hope someone can confirm this is O.K. or otherwise.
Checked both thermostats with a thermometer and both are opening at 140 degrees.
Feel better about all this than I did yesterday !!!
Thanks for any and all responses so far and from here on.

Ken.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I think you are OK. The water control valve #37 changes the flow at around 2000 RPM.

A lot of owners changed to the 1993 system and eliminated the water control valve.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think you are OK. The water control valve #37 changes the flow at around 2000 RPM.

A lot of owners changed to the 1993 system and eliminated the water control valve.

It seemed like a "what do we need this bit for" item. I will look up the 1993 info and maybe convert my motor to that system.
Thanks for the info.