Older merc 9.8 not cooling

A friend of mine gave me this golden oldie for us to use at our fishing camp...I cleaned the plugs and the carbs and the old bugger fired right up...problem is that there is no water coming out anywhere. I assume that the tube coming from the top of the cylinder head is supposed to be a weep hold but there is nothing coming out. I searched other posts and it appears that I need to check out the impeller, seals and stuff...looking at an online microfiche they appear to be inside the lower end.

How does one go about starting? Take the motor off the top? I'm pretty handy, so if you guys could give me a list of bullet points to go on I'll try take it from there.

Thanks for any assistance you guys can send my way!

Tony.

Re: Older merc 9.8 not cooling

..more info...there is a screw on the side of it that is labelled flush..if I pull the screw out and use the compressor to blow air through it the air comes through the prop and through 3 holes at the back of the lower unit.

Just lookin' for a place to start,
T.

Starppy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We need more info on the motor. They made the 9.8 from about 1964 up into the 80's. There should be a serial number either between the clamp screws, on the side of the driveshaft housing or on the side of the block. The only way to identify the year on an older Merc is from the serial number.

Odds are you are going to have to pull the LU and check the impeller. How to do that is going to depend on the year. Blowing air in at the flush plug isn't going to tell you a whole lot since the air will just blow out the water intake and exhaust ports.

Here are the numbers I can find on it...

Between the two jugs, left side of motor: 7042919
Closer on the block left side of motor: 837-5284

More info...

I pullled the lower end out....I put it in a bucket of water and tried turning the shaft with a drill....no water came out the pump...next I took the top of the pump off and there is a little metal piece that sits on top..took that off and it looks like a bolt that had rubber cast all over it with bits of rubber all over the place...not sure if this was supposed to be the impeller :>....Anyhow, trying to pull that piece up out of the water pump housing and it doesn't want to slide up the shaft....I tried getting a wrench on it and there isn't enough space to get the wrench in there (box or open end)...is that supposed to just slide up the shaft or is it acutally a bolt?

Thanks for any help,
Tony

..and yet more info....

Going off the S/N it looks like it's a 1985

Looking at

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp/AsplIsmCcatViewBase.jsp?&lvlCode=1&pCode=C0018028&path=MM~~C0018028&isFromCMS=false&hideAdd2CartButton=&isStandAlone=&is4CmsShop=&reqln=Unknown&reqem=Unknown&reqph=Unknown&reqFor=29&req4Browse=1&docId=297&docName=MERCURY%20|%201985%20|%209.8%20|%207.5%20/9.8%20H.P.%20-%201010205&isForSupStore=false&cCatFilter=&eCatSupFldr=

It's part 25 (impeller) that's toast...looks like there is an allen key that's supposed to hold that sucker in too so I'll take another peek at that after dinner.

T.