engine alignment (left/right)

Cptkid570

Ensign
Hey everyone,
260hp Mercruiser, Alpha 1, gen I.

I put the engine from the donor boat into my project boat and maybe it's an illusion, but I swear the engine is a little bit crooked. It seems like the front of the engine is closer to the starboard side of the boat than the port side (not much, but it looks like it is).. does seem like the front portion of the starbord side exhaust manifold is maybe 1/8" closer to the engine bay than the port side.

Question - if the rear mounting bolts fit into the engine bracket and are tightened appropriately, is it possible for the engine to still be out of alighment? Motor mounts aligned right too, but those holes are a little larger and may have more space to shift to a side.

No, I haven't checked it with an alignment tool, and do intend on doing that. Just wondering if it's possible.. and if it is, how would it be possible if the rear mounts fit right.

One thing that is making me paranoid is that when I lowered the engine in, I wasn't perfectly centered in the middle and I kinda had to swing the engine over a little bit to make it fit in..

I'm thinking of just centering the hoist this time and hoisting up the engine a few inches until everything is up, and bolting it back down... but, I just wanted some opinions..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine alignment (left/right)

There is no side to side movement or adjustment on the engine. If the inner and outer surfaces of the transom need to be parallel with each other. If one side is thicker it will cause the engine to set off to one side. The alignment bar is the ruling factor.
Leave the front engine mount bolts out untill you get the engine aligned.

Cptkid570

Ensign
Re: engine alignment (left/right)

Thanks Don, that's what I figured. I'll check it with an alignment bar.. Heck, the deck of the boat could be off center for all I know.. it's just a tiny bit, if any.