3 HP stalls when throttle opened

I took my Johnson 3HP out on the water (sea) a week ago and all was fine. After about an hours fishing I restarted the engine with no trouble but then it cut out when the throttle was opened up. Restarted first pull and died again when throttle was opened up. Restarted yet again first pull and died again when throttle was opened up. Same thing every time I tried to open up to get home! Had to limp back to harbour on tick over. Any ideas anybody? I sure could do with some advice.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3 HP stalls when throttle opened

First suggestion is cleaning the carb.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

By the way, welcome to iboats from an Englishman in Canada.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not familiar with the carb cleaning procedure and/or setting up of jets etc. Is it fairly straight forward? By the way...my mother is Canadian: Winnipeg.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

In addition to the carb cleaning, make sure that the sintered metal fuel filter is clean. It is located inside the tank, where the shutoff valve is. If it's clogged, it will run out of gas long before the tank is empty. Also make sure the fuel cap vent is working.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I agree with TX. Check the filter before dinking around with the carburetor. They are almost impossible to clean and are intended to be replaced.

Never been to Canada. Have played all over Europe but never over the pond. My cousin was in BC a few months ago and was blown away by it enough to move out in 6 months time!