Throttle/Shift Control Not Locking in Idle

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello all. i recently picked-up a 1987 Bass Tracker 17' w/ a 1987 Mercury Classic Fifty. Here is my problem: the Throttle Control will not lock into neutral. i can basically push it forward or reverse without pushing the button on the shifter. The neutral button engages, and i can rev it up/ it also shifts into forward and reverse...i just don't have to push the finger button to do so.

Is the a common problem? Is this a problem at all? I'm afraid i am going to shear something in my lower unit. if i accidentally go from forward or reverse with it locking into idle.

can anyone help me out with this problem? i am attaching a photo of the same throttle box that i own. Ehanks for any help you can give. ac.

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Throttle/Shift Control Not Locking in Idle

probably spring out of postion. in control.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Achilles, The button on the pivot point of the throttle handle is usually throttle only. You would push it to advance the thottle for cold start in neutral.

Some (not all) controls lock in neutral and there is a lever to squeeze on the throttle handle itself. A lot do not lock in neutral. It is up to the operator to stop in neutral. Adding a bit of preload to the throttle cable halps the operator feel neutral.

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the help guys.

tashasdaddy: i will pull the remote apart today to see if anything is going on in there. anything i should watch out for or be cautious of when pulling apart?

chris. this remote should lock in neutral. there is a red button/lever at the top of the arm that engages the gears. the problem is that i can engage both forward and reverse...without pushing the red button/lever.

i can feel neutral, just don't want to tear up the lower unit, or fall on it while in idle and take off like a bat out of hell!

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

opened up the handle today and found that a small plastic piece that brings the lever back to lock inside the handle was broken off. gonna try some epoxy, gorilla glue, or something similar to try to get that plastic piece back into place. at least i know the source of the problem now.

thanks for the help. ac.

sparky4612

Cadet

I have the same problem. Were you able to glue it back together? What glue did you use? Thanks Greg