Mercury TSB's

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury TSB's

Ive had an on going issue that has been posted here before.

In a nutshell the engine (88 Classic fifty) will run 100% for days then all of a sudden one day it will not want to idle (will have to crank it with the fast idle up and then quiclky drop it and push it in forward).....then a few days later it will be running fine then all of a sudden it dont want to run past 2K RPM but it idles great.

Ive already ran through every check, coils, plugs, plug wires, rectifier, stator, trigger blahhhhh. All test good.

I was told to check the inlet needles for black tips, they were. I installed new factory inlet needles (all silver) and no difference.

Carbs have been rebuilt recently, new gas line, new gas tank, primer bulb stays tight. The fuel pump was rebuilt at the same time the carbs were.

I gave up and called Mercury. Told them what all has been done and asked they search for TSB's. I gave the woman my serial # and she said the first one that came up on her screen associated with my serial number was one called "fuel starvation" and the TSB description was exacltly what I explained. She said to check the vaccum pulse side of the fuel pump for 2.5 inches of mercury. She said the check valve in the pump was the likely cause.

I asked for her to send me a copy but she said Merury policy prevents her, she even wouldnt give me the TSB # but said it was labeled "fuel starvation"

I would like a copy of the tsb so I can read it fully and complete the test as it states. I also would like to know the suggested repair in the TSB.

I plan on fitting a T fitting and attaching my vac gauge to it this weekend and going out for a test run to see if I am loosing vac on the pump.

Anyone have the TSB, access to the TSB and could shoot me a copy I would greatly appreciate it.