1992 Mercruiser 4.3L

maddog2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1992 Mercruiser 4.3L engine that wasn't winterized. I have learned a valuable lesson here. Both exhaust manifolds were busted, a freeze plug under the motor mounts on each side was out. I ordered new exhaust manifolds, new freeze plugs, new spark plugs, wires, and replaced the sensor in the distributor and put it all back together....only to find that when I put her in the lake...water and oil began pumping out of the PCV hoses into the intake of the carb...OUCH !! I assume that I have a busted engine block. I did have water come out of the the two center spark plugs holes before it was put back together.

I have decided to order a remanufactured long block engine.
The engine is in a 1992 Celebrity190 bowrider. 18'-7" long.

I have a friend with an engine stand, chain hoist, cherry picker, ect.. to remove the engine..so, heres my question.. what do I need to do to remove this engine? I plan to remove the bell housing bolts from the back of the block and remove the two motormounts.
Of course, I will have to disconnect any hoses, power, fuel lines ect...
Does the engine have to be shifted forward from the bell housing to disinguage the motor from thetransom? Are there any bolts from inside the bell housing that need to be removed in order to remove this engine?
I am mechanically inclined and I have the tools, but I have never removed a boat engine before.
Please , somebody help me out here.
James in Salisbury,NC

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1992 Mercruiser 4.3L

Step 1 remove the outdrive

Step 2 remove wires and hoses

Step 3 leave bell hsg attached

Step 4 remove front mount large nuts

Step 5 remove rear mount bolts that hold bell hsg to transom bracket they a
are screwed in facing down on eaither side of the rear of the bell hsg.
There are 2 of them, don't loose the spacers,springs, or fiber washers
that are back there.

Step 6 pull engine

James

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Forgot step 7 unhook things still attached holding up step 6 that you thought were done.

James

maddog2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there a diagram online of how this engine is bolted to the bell housing and transom? Will the engine not come out without removing the outdrive? I have about 10" or 12" of space in front of the engineto slide it forward.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

You can get it out without removing the drive but it is impossible to do the engine alignment when you put it back without the drive off and the alignment bar. Pull the drive,it's easy and quick. Put shift handle in forward pull out trim ram pin and take off 6 nuts. You're putting in a new motor you'll of course want a new impeller kit at this time. With any luck nothing in the drive cracked from the freeze>

James

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is there a diagram online of how this engine is bolted to the bell housing and transom? Will the engine not come out without removing the outdrive? I have about 10" or 12" of space in front of the engineto slide it forward.

You might be able to get the engine out without removing the drive, But you must remove the drive to reinstall and align the engine.
Go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum, the diagrams are called "Service Manuals" and can be downloaded there.

bhammer

Ensign

As Boatguy said, in this case you need to. You need to align the motor to the drive when you put it back in. Or, you may be pulling the engine again to change the coupler when it goes out.​

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maddog, you can go to the "Adults Only" sticky at the top of the forum and find the post for manuals... I think it's #9 and download the manual for your engine probably #18. These are the Merc shop manuals and are large it may take some time for the download...get the one for your outdrive too I think it's #14. These are here thanks to Don S. Also a lot of very important info in the sticky. Good luck on your project let us know how it turns out.

maddog2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After looking at the amount of time involved in removing the outdrive and engine, I have decided to send her to a boat repair center for the work to be completed by a qualified marine mechanic. I was given a quote of $400. to check the engine out or $1,200. to pull old engine and install new engine...of course I would purchase the engine (long block) for $1,300. from Rapido marine. I appreciate everyones input here and I will keep you informed of my rebuild with pictures after she is done !

James in Salisbury,NC