Carpet needs?

Russdog

Cadet
I have a 1992 17' Blue Fin Spectrum Fish & Ski boat that I am going to replace the flor and carpet. Can someone help me with how much carpet I'll need 8'X 20 or 25)? I'll be carpeting similar to how it was new - seat bases, storage lockers, side well compartments, etc. And I've read that marine grade adheasive, trowled on but as I remove the old carpet the adheasive looks like it was sprayed on. Has anyone used spray adheasive? Seems to me that that would be simpler.

ebuhr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Carpet needs?

I used 8X25' on my 17' Lund. I tried several adhesives. The best and easiest was contact cement. It can be sprayed with a cheap spray gun. Don't use the non-flammable contact cement it is junk.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yet another Hoosier!

You will need more than you think so I would go with the 25' because you have to do the doors an hatches ect seperately.

The main floor on the boat will eat 18' than add in casting decks and doors ect and it should be close.

Watch out, carpet has a grain, make sure you get all your doors and other things to match the grain of the floor, I had both my livewell doors with the grain going the wrong way and it makes the carpet look like a different color.

I used the outdoor carpet adhesive from Lowes, put it on thick with a cerated trowel and make sure you have alot of ventilation, got a really nasty buzz off of it.

I build pontoons and we use something that looks and smells like Elmers glue and put it on with a paint roller then they run a really heavy roller over it to seat the carpet.

On mine I laid out the part and cut about 2'' around it and rolled and stapled it.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Home depot has 25 ft by 8 or 86 for 220 free ship.I ordered mine 2 days ago

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can get 8.6x21 at overtons for 225.00 shipped. 20oz. marine carpet. I love the plush feel.