Volvo Penta Sx bearings

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Guys, I took my sx drive off last year to do the gimbal bearing and when I put the drive in my garage to store it I opened the bleed valve and about 3 onces of water came out.... I regularly check the oil so it was obviously from my last trip out.....

Anyway I drained the oil and put in some fresh oil as well but left it draining over the winter and I looked at it today and the drive is stuck and after removing the driveshaft assembly and top of drive noticed that the gears have little surface rust spots that will wipe off but the bearings have them as well and they are turning very rough... I should have my face slapped for this!!

So I guess I am looking at a total rebuild or just the bearings and seal kits?? What do you guys recommend my next step be... I am very good mechanically and thinking I could take it apart and clean the gears but can I do it myself or is it something I should have the dealer do... It is mostly labor to take it apart but do I need a lot of special tools??

Any help would be appreciated

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Penta Sx bearings

SX uppers just work and work and work so I don't get into them much. Most likely you'll need brg seperators and a press to take it apart. I think there is a rolling torq on reassembly and shimming. You're probably best to take it to a good shop with the correct tools. I charge the same or more if you "help" by taking it apart yourself, don't know about others.

James

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sure you need a lot of special tools to rebuild an SX, you also need a manual to have some idea what you need to do.
What is the year (or better yet the SN) of your SX. I have a link to the manuals, just not sure what you have for a drive.

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the service manual and after reading it tonight I think it is beyond my capabilities because of all the special tools needed.... I guess that's why it costs so much to have someone work on these.

It's a 2000 SX-m drive from a 5.0GL

Does anybody know of a place to get all the bearings in a kit for a good price or is there a rebuild kit available somewhere??? I see them listed for merc's but nothing on the volvo

Thanks for the help