Is soap bad for bindings?

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've read that dish soap will degrade the bindings and make them crack and wear out sooner. Anyone have an opinion on this? It seems to make sense that a detergent will degrade rubber (a petroleum based product), not to mention that most dish soap isn't the best thing environmentally speaking. What do most of you use? What about a water-based lube like KY?

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is soap bad for bindings?

Yes, Dish soap, body wash, Shampoo, etc will degrade the stitching, laces, and wear on the leather and fabrics. It will lead to a shorter life span for your equipment and it isn't very bio friendly.

Waterbased lubricants like KY will work and not be as harmful. I know people who use these to make getting wetsuits on a bit easier.

However, there are products that any board shop will carry that are specifically designed for lubricating binding. I would suggest getting a bottle of this. As the personal lubricants can get pretty expensive. Plus, I don't know about you, but during my sessions its usually just the guys out for a few hours to get our boarding in. The women usually only come during the weekends when the water sucks for boarding. I just get an odd feeling have 3 or 4 guys on a boat and tubes of KY just sitting around :eek:

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hmm, point taken...haha. Spanks...er, I mean Thanks!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, back before the move to use soap to get into bindings I wore out two different pairs of double boots on my EP GX3 Turboglass. Since using soap I have worn out none -- granted, I do not ski as much as I used to.

The force used to put them on without soap, sunlight, and use were the binding killers.

That being said, if you get to ski enough to wear out some bindings, consider yourself a luck man and blessed, and just replace them.

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use shaving cream , it works really well

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, the soap can prematurely wear out your bindings.
Just get some Lava lube. The stuff is more expensive, but when used int he right amounts will actually lastt just as long as a close equivalent in soap, since you dont have to use a whole lot of it.

SL_lava_128ozpump.jpg

willieboy

Seaman

There are a ton of products out there for this purpose. Most all of them are glycerol based (KY is glycerol) and will not hurt your bindings/boots as much as dish soap. I think Connelly has one called boot slime, there was another I saw called "boot goo". Most any place that sells wakeboards, ski ropes, etc. will have something.

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda think the boot lube issue is a little overblown.

My brother has been using some liquid soap on his Ultras for 5+ years now and deterioration hasn't been an issue.
I like baby oil gel for my Systems. First app usually lasts 2 or 3 sets since it doesn't all wash off in the water.

I think the various marketing departments w/their 1$/oz bottles of lube are pulling the wool over our eyes.

But that's just me :D

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LF -
Haven't seen you post in here for a few months now. Back from a siesta?

MrNobody13

Cadet

The best and cheapest product is Ivory dish soap. It is very enviromentally friendly as well. NO PHOSPHATES!

er spellcheck?

MrN

makersmark052

Recruit

i take half a bottle of simple green (biodegradable) and mix it with water, it works great to get on bindings, also can be used to clean things on the boat without having to worry about pollution in the water.

Simple green is the only thing you need to clean your boat.

Dan Nadash

Cadet

I have a pair of Hyperlite 30/60s bought at christmas 2000.

I have only ever used liquid detergent and they have been used exclusively in salt water for the last 6 years. (maybe 20 time per year - with a thorough fresh water wash afterward). I put them on for the first time in awhile last year and they fit like I remember them fitting back when they were new.

I say this because I agree that the issue is way overblown. I have had a new pair of bindings the last 3 seasons and they aren't as durable as those old bindings imo.

texomatom

Seaman

I'll second the 50/50 simple green solution.
Other than normal fading, my 5 year old Byerly's show no unusual wear and I've used simple green & water since new..
T

Shack1

Recruit

I use shaving cream as well. Washes off well in the water and isn't too expensive.