What are these for?

relstabw

Seaman
The rubber plugs on the sides of the low point at the bottom of the transom,the bilge box, what are these plugs for. I'm guessing they're there to drain the area between the outer hull and floor but how does this area drain if the holes are filled with rubber plugs?:confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What are these for?

If the plugs are through the transom, they are bilge drains. The bilge drains when you pull the plugs after the boat is out of the water. If the boat is in the water they can be pulled when the boat is on plane as that area is out of the water at that time. Water runs downhill so out the back it goes. Just make sure you insert them again before coming off plane. But then if you have a bilge pump you really don't need to worry about them.

relstabw

Seaman

Silvertip,They're not through the transom. They're just to the left and to the right(port and starboard) of the bilge plug and in the box where the bilge pump would mount.

a70eliminator

Captain

More than likely they are in fact below deck drains, my boat has one and I pull it after each outing, no water ever comes out but if the hull ever did breech I'd know, any through deck bolt and screw holes can potentially leak especially if boat gets stored without a cover, if water gets trapped between rot happens so you mignt want to raise the bow high and pull the plugs, I'm thinking maybe the two plugs are for either side of the stringers.

relstabw

Seaman

That's what I was thinking that they are for draining the area under the deck. By the way the boat is a 1977 Lucraft. So if they are to drain this area,why are there plugs here? Should I just remove them and leave them out? I'm thinking maybe,since the deck drains into the bilge box at the transom that the plugs are there to prevent any above deck water from working it's way under the deck.

relstabw

Seaman

A70,They were below deck drains. After rebuilding the carbs and replacing the water pump ( boat was unused for years) I took it out on the river.It ran great but would only plane at almost full throttle. After reading about this condition on this forum Water in the hull was listed as a cause. I pulled the plugs and water poured out both sides. I've decided to leave them out and I took your advice and put the bow up high to drain the best. The water was brown not clear. There are no soft spots in the deck now. Do I need to be concerned if no more water comes out. I keep this boat under cover but not sure about the previous owner.