PLEASE HELP! Mercruiser 470

Tyegazoo

Recruit
Hey Guys,

I bought a 21 foot 4 winns from a marine in pcola florida. My dad is currently in Iraq and will be home in two weeks. I want to have it up and running to take him out on it. I start the engine and its fine if i dont give it gas in nuetral it will die. Also I shift into drive(forward) and it runs good. As soon as i shift to reverse i hear it trying to engage and cant... then kills the engine. Please help me I am completly lost Thanks! Tye

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: PLEASE HELP! Mercruiser 470

Howdy,

More info is needed. Take a look at the "Adults Only" stick above in the main forum.

It sounds like there may be a maladjusted/defective lower shift cable and maybe carb problems etc.

You can find a service manual in the info above.....

There's quite a few people here that are intimately familiar with the 470 that should be along soon.

Cheers,

Rick

TilliamWe

Banned

Also, if you are doing these things while the boat is on a trailer, Alpha drives don't shift properly. they have to be in the water to shift properly. The pressure of the water around the props is needed to make them go in and out of gear.

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like bad lower shift cable. disconnect the cable from the shifting mechanism located on the transom housing. Try and manually shift it. If its really hard and tight then its the cable. also check your idle adjustment on the carb. Might be to low, or your choke is stuck.

Maclin

Admiral

Were you running water to it thru muffs on the outdrive? Hopefully you did, it does not take but a few seconds of spinning while dry (even just cranking) to kill an impeller. If not then plan on a new raw water impeller at least and maybe a new raw water pump housing. All of that requires that the lower unit be removed. Also if the engine ran very long without water then some of the exhaust rubber may have been cooked, that can create other woes.

The problem kind of sounds like a shift cable adjustment for the interrupter switch, or a new cable is needed. Do not just go buy all this stuff yet, do the troubleshooting that has been mentioned.