PT 2x6 bunks for aluminum boat?

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class
in the thread about the EZ load trailer i saw that someone said that PT 2x6 should not be used for aluminum boats....I was going to cover them with I/O carpet...will the chemicals leak through the carpet and effect the hull?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: PT 2x6 bunks for aluminum boat?

I wouldn't chance it. Not only will the PT chemicals leach through the carpet and eat the boat, but it will be hard on your mounting hardware too.

I used redwood for bunk boards on my old SeaSwirl (2500#) and they were still good after 10 years.

Jeep Man

Commander

when the carpet is wet, it can and will leach through and will damage the aluminium. Use regular redwood, pine, spruce, anything but PT.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've seen PT do some damage, don't use it.

ericmic

Cadet

I just went through the same debate for my setup. After looking around I couldn't find any decent alternative here (buffalo, ny). If you can get Cypress I hear thats the best to use.

What I did was buy non-PT 2x6 and put 3 coats of linseed-oil on it, then carpeted it with outdoor from home-depot.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any known issues using PT wood on a glass boat? My neighbor replaced his last year and I know he used PT wood and then carpeted them for his glass I/O boat.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I have never had a problem with using P/T lumber and covering it with carpet designed for bunks. The carpet I use has a water proof backing that minimizes water retention and does not allow water to seep into the wood from the carpet side of the boat or vice versa. This not only prevents chemical seapage from the wood but also natural wood tanin's and acids. The most damaging thing you can do to a aluminum hull is to use household carpet that absorbs and traps water against the hull.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pt Has No Place Around Boats.