Can't seem to get reverse to work right.

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer
Alpha-1 MR

Last year, I removed my engine and drive to replace a coupler. While I was at it, I removed everything off my transom, did some fiberglass work, cleaned and painted the inner and outer transom plates, the gimbal assembly and the upper and lower drive units.

I also replaced all the bellows and my shift cable.

Everything is working perfectly, with one exception. My boat will not shift into reverse properly.

I've already tried looking through the manual and playing with the shift cables, If I adjust it too much one way, it will just grind when trying to go into reverse, if I adjust it too much the other way, my shift interrupt kicks in and the engine stalls (while trying to shift INTO reverse)

Right now it's setup so that it sort of works... if your in neutral and you try to shift into reverse, it has a 50/50 chance of either hitting the interupt and stalling, or grinding a bit then shifting into reverse.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about grabbing a video camera and recording the problem out on the water to show here. I'm a little worried I may have a lower drive issue.